1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 4, 2012 11:51 PM by Jayesh Sharma

Text Highlighting issue with TextSnapshot object

Jayesh Sharma

Hi,

I am working with a digital book application. I make use of swf loader to load swf pages created from pdf. I use TextSnapsot to draw inline text highlight on the pages. The highlight is thoroughly retained on the respective pages throughout the session and later it can be updated/deleted without any problem. Everything was working great till I made the following changes in the swf loading approach to enable page caching:

I am now loading swf loader object into application memory and while doing jumping from one page to other page I am just copying the content of the next page to the current swf loader which is on the display to the user. There are two sets of swf loaders - one for displaying the page and other to cache the next/previous page(s). On the caching side, I load the swf into application memory and after getting it loaded I pick all the contents of the loaded swf page (the children of it's movie clip) into an array collection. While changing the page I copy the cached content into the swf loader's movie clip which is displaying the page.

Now when I highlight on the page on display and navigate back/forth from the page and comeback again to the page where I did the highlighting: It shows the highlight I did. But as soon as I try to draw another highlight on that page, the previous highlight is instantly disappears from the page.

I suspect that the Textsnapshot object which draws highlight while navigating (to the target display page) is different from the one which redraws/update the highlight on the same page next time. Although the Textsnapshot object id for both the objects is same.

Here are some code snippet:

For copying the content from the swf loader object cached in application memory:

private function copyPageContent():void

{

var contentCollection:ArrayCollection = new ArrayCollection();

_pageContentVO = new PageContentVO();

_pageContentVO.contentHeight = MovieClip(_swfPageLoader.content).height;

_pageContentVO.contentWidth = MovieClip(_swfPageLoader.content).width;

var count:int = MovieClip(_swfPageLoader.content).numChildren;               

for(var i:int=0;i<count;i++)

{

var dispObject:DisplayObject = MovieClip(_swfPageLoader.content).removeChildAt(0);               

contentCollection.addItem(dispObject);

}

_pageContentVO.pageContentCollection = contentCollection;

_swfPageLoader = null;

}

For copying the content to the swf loader which is displaying the page:

private function copyContent(pageContentVo:PageContentVO):void

{

for(var i:int = 0;i<pageContentVo.pageContentCollection.length;i++)

{

var dispObject:DisplayObject = pageContentVo.pageContentCollection.getItemAt(i) as DisplayObject;

MovieClip(this.content).addChild(dispObject);

}

this.content.height = this.height;

this.content.width = this.width;

}

after this I dispatch swf loader's complete manually and in the handler of that event I take the text snap shot object.(highlightManager.as)

Code I use to draw highlight manually(using mouse drag on the page).

public function setHighlight():void

{

removeAll();

if(_textSnapShot!=null && _textSnapShot.getText(0,_textSnapShot.charCount)!="")

{               

if(_isCoveredTextSelectedAtAnyInstance)

{

_textSnapShot.setSelected(_beginIndex,_endIndex+1,false); //this is the global variable to the class

}

else

{

_textSnapShot.setSelectColor(0xfff100);

_textSnapShot.setSelected(_beginIndex,_endIndex+1,true);

}

if(saveHighlight)

{

countHighlightedSegments();

}               

}           

}

Code I use to redraw previously drawn highlight when I return to the page:

public function showHighlights(textSnapShot:TextSnapshot,currentPageNum:int):void

{           

if(currentPageNum >= 0)

{

textSnapShot.setSelected(0,textSnapShot.charCount,false);

var pageVO:PageVO = _model.eBookVO.eBookPagesVO.getItemAt(currentPageNum) as PageVO;

var objColl:ArrayCollection = new ArrayCollection();

objColl.source = pageVO.highLightSelection;

for(var i:int=0;i<objColl.length;i++)

{

var highlightVO:HighlightVO = new HighlightVO();

highlightVO.beginIndex = objColl.getItemAt(i).beginIndex;

highlightVO.endIndex = objColl.getItemAt(i).endIndex;

setHighlightedSegment(textSnapShot,highlightVO.beginIndex,highlightVO.endIndex);

}

}

}

private function setHighlightedSegment(textSnapShot:TextSnapshot,beginIndex:int,endIndex:int):void

{

textSnapShot.setSelectColor(0xfff100);

textSnapShot.setSelected(beginIndex,endIndex,true);

}

Looking forward to your support to resolve this issue.

Regards,

JS