10 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2012 12:16 PM by bogiesan Branched to a new discussion.

Rendering problem with static

nxenon13

I rendered out an uncompressed avi file last night and when it was done the whole video clip was full of random static that would flash onscreen every few seconds.  The original file was a uncompressed avi, which I then had a bunch of layers over it in AE.  The RAM preview played the clip fine before rendering.  If anyone knows whats wrong, I would really aprieciate it.  I can provide more info if you need it.

• 1. Re: Rendering problem with static
          bogiesan Level 4

The more common answer is that one or more layers were mp4 or h.264 or some other long GOP-based encode. If that's not the case, you must start looking at your packages of codecs. Seems the k-lite system has been causing havoc recently.

A bit of patience till others with some more experience with this type of problem can stop by and see your post.

Testing bad renders is not difficult but it's time consuming. If these bursts of static occur randomly in repeated attempts to render, the problem lies with your computer, your RAM, or your codecs. If the problem occurs at the exact same place each time your render, the problem lies with one or more layers's footage items.

• 2. Re: Rendering problem with static
            nxenon13 Level 1

Here is a frame from the clip.  Also I rendered the avi to my external drive directly, if that matters.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/106ybfr.jpg

• 3. Re: Rendering problem with static
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What exact output format and settings did you use? This looks like garbeld compression from using a certain CoDec with unsuitable settings.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Rendering problem with static
                nxenon13 Level 1

The output format was a straight unmatted avi with no compression codecs.  It is 1920x803 (2:39).  I render videos like this all the time, but this is the first problem I have encountered.

• 5. Re: Rendering problem with static
                  bogiesan Level 4

Taht doesn't describe the codec, jsut the wrapper. You used Animation?

• 6. Re: Rendering problem with static
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'd still insist that this is some sort of CoDec problem, perhaps due to the "crooked" pixel values? Does it work if you use 804 for the height?

Mylenium

• 7. Re: Rendering problem with static
                      nxenon13 Level 1

I'll try rendering it out with 804 and let you know what happens.

• 8. Re: Rendering problem with static
                        nxenon13 Level 1

Alright that seems to have fixed it.  Thanks for the help.

• 9. Re: Rendering problem with static
                          merango

HP- H8 desktop i7-2600s, 8GB ram, Geforce GTX 550ti. The picture you reference is exactly what is happening to me.  If I render a file - which includes animation - to an external USB 3.0 drive, then I get the same video artifacts.  However, if I render to the second internal drive, it's perfect.

I thought it was the USB 3.0 cradle, but it the video artifacts, dropout, whatever you call it shows up when rendered to USB 3.0 drives, and USB 2 (just to see if it would artifact.)

So are the codecs having issues with external drives?  Or is this just some random glitch because I'm rendering to an external drive.

Rendering layers - 4 .png files, 1 .mp4, and 4 jpg files.  Only 1 jpg file is animated, the rest are static with the opacity up and down from 0 to 100.

Any thoughts are welcome.

• 10. Re: Rendering problem with static
                            bogiesan Level 4

IN all the years I've been doing this, a file is a file is a file. Rendering to full, frame-based codecs should yield a perfect media file. 

A file that is being transcoded on its way to a drive is not really a file, it's a procedural operation that is in process while it is being written. Why would a USB bus cause write issues? USB talks in packets and bursts of packets. Firewire and internal buses are using constant streams of data.

Are your attempting to render out to a compressed codec?

One more clarification: Are you rendering or are you exporting?

Message was not only opened and added to , it was edited by: bogiesan