22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2012 12:28 PM by Steve Werner

How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?

MattiasPaludi Level 1

If Apple does not ask for a per download cost for unlimited distribution of a free app/magazine through their store, what is the point of the huge DPS costs? Why not avoid it and pay half their yearly costs to get  a developer to build the app from scratch for ex?

• 2. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?
          MattiasPaludi Level 1

That goes directly to my point—why does this question have to be restricted to the DPS forum? Why is Adobe saying this is the only way to go mobile with published content when Apple is putting no restrictions.

• 3. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you don't like Adobe's solution, you can look for other third-party solutions. Do a Google search on "iPad publishing tools"

• 4. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Would you expect a printer to print your publication for free? Would you expect to be able to mail it for free?

Have you looked at DPS Single Edition? For one-offs it's quite reasonable.

If you'd like to do a subscription based publication you can certainly check out other competing systems such as Mag+ or PressRun. I warn you though, you will not find any bargains.

And Steve is right...the DPS forum is where you will find others working on similar projects and with similar concerns.

Bob

• 5. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?
                MattiasPaludi Level 1

I understand this is the scripted response, Bob, but where did you see  anything about free?

10 to 20K per year just to distribute a low circ non-profit quarterly? That is getting close to the cost of actual printing. In printing you can see the justification for those kind of costs, not here. No one is expecting free, just reasonable. Imagine if every web hosting model was like this.. the internet would exist only for those with the deep resources.

Looking at the DPS forum--it looks like I am not the only one who has had a sticker shock with this.

• 6. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?
                  Petteri_Paananen Level 4

4 Single edition of DPS/year costs you some 1600USD... that´s not so much?

Are your publications paid or free? If you distribute them freely, you have lot´s of choises how to make them, if you want to sell them, then I suggest you to use AppStore for that....

• 7. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?
                    MattiasPaludi Level 1

Thanks. Agreed, that would be reasonable but that's not what Adobe sales is saying. They are saying if you put out more than 1 per year its $500/month just to play, then 3K for every 10k downloads paid in advance.

Yes our pubs are free and distributed freely, what choices are you referring to?

• 8. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?

You can create as many one offs as you want for $395 each. The monthly cost only kicks in if you want it to be a subscription app.

Like I said, check out Mag+ and PressRun.

Bob

• 9. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?
                        Petteri_Paananen Level 4

Then I don´t know if you need AppStore at all. You could distribute your publications as HTML5 web-apps. I think there´s several publishing systems that can produce those web-apps, most familiar to me is eDocker Tablet Publisher (because I work there)...

If you publish html5 web-app, you can use your own web-server for publishing platform. You simply provide an URL web-address to your readers, they will open it with standard web-browser like mobile safari in iPad. They can read it right away in the browser view or install to home screen just like native apps from appStore.

If you have iPad in your hands, go and check http://www.edocker.com/sampleBasic

Extra benefit is that you can provide same URL to computer and tablet users. (You can try that address above with both computer and iPad...)

Many Publishing System providers have also non-profit prices, they just don´t advertise them in their web-sites. But it may still be worth of try to ask that....

• 10. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?
                          MattiasPaludi Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, Petteri. Unfortunately the overwelming concensus in our publishing group is that magazines viewed through any kind of web browser defeat the whole purpose of trying to recreate the reader experience that exists with stand-alone magazines. Web browser-based magazines also restrict users to being online to read and that also takes out a big chunk of flexibility, esp since a lot of iPads are sold without 3G and used on planes, subways, etc.

• 11. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?
                            MattiasPaludi Level 1

Maybe the info I have from Adobe Sales is wrong then... We are distributing a free quarterly to alumni and faculty of a university. What we would like is for someone to download and archive a version of any one issue and have it forever on their iPad. We  are not interested in having updatable material (twitter feeds, embedded web pages, etc.) included in the issue just interacivity (video, audio, shiftable photos etc). We don't have to have it available through the App Store or iTues but it would be nice. What is your suggestion for that model?

• 12. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?

If you want to have the ability to download issues into an app (subscriptions) this no cheap way to do it. If you don’t mind issuing standalone apps for each quarter, then use the single edition. There are no download fees and Apple takes nothing for a free app.

Bob

• 13. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?
                                Petteri_Paananen Level 4

MattiasPaludi wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, Petteri. Unfortunately the overwelming concensus in our publishing group is that magazines viewed through any kind of web browser defeat the whole purpose of trying to recreate the reader experience that exists with stand-alone magazines. Web browser-based magazines also restrict users to being online to read and that also takes out a big chunk of flexibility, esp since a lot of iPads are sold without 3G and used on planes, subways, etc.

After user has added HTML5 web-app to his/her home screen, it´s practically identical to native app. It uses full screen, horizontal and vertical page structure is in use and of course page turning by swiping....

And if HTML5 web-app is done correctly, it will save itself to iPad during the first visit so it can be used also in offline mode. I suggest that you try the link I gave with iPad, add that publication to your iPad´s home screen (it´s 3 clicks) and open from there. You can´t say wheteher it´s a web-app or native app anymore after that. You should forward that link to people who thinks that browser-based apps differs from native apps somehow...

Web-apps are really good choise especially

-if your publication is free for users

-if you want to publish it with simple and fast workflow

-if you want to use your own server instead of appStore

I really suggest you to study this subject. There´s quite a few solutions that are based on this technique. eDocker is just one of them.

• 14. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?
                                  vividi Level 1

I would say regarding the subscriptions route adobe is offering its DPS users.

I think adobe creative suite users should (not be) locked into a publishing model that is not totally flexible for the delivery of tablet content. Anyone who has purchased adobe software has heavily invested time and money into the products but will shortly find if they want to publish directly onto a tablet device they will be asked to further invest into a costly online delivery service, also they will possibly need to upgrade software or even subscribe to the adobe creative cloud method to remain current and make newer digital content available to all tablet users.

The view of a flexible method to see digital content on the iPad or other devices along with the current costs of apple and adobe subscriptions is doomed to die unless we embrace the free or lower cost way into tablet publishing and indesign content delivery.

Any thoughts

Vividi

• 15. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?
                                    [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

vividi wrote:

[..] Anyone who has purchased adobe software has heavily invested time and money into the products but will shortly find if they want to publish directly onto a tablet device they will be asked to further invest into a costly online delivery service [..]

I bought InDesign to design books with. Can I now claim that Adobe also should handle its printing, binding, selling, and worldwide delivery?

• 16. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?

There are competing systems with DPS. You make it sound like you’re entitled to have all of this done for free.

If you don’t like DPS then check out Mag+ or PressRun. Both are viable alternatives but you may be surprised to find they also want to be paid for their services.

Bob

• 17. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?
                                        MattiasPaludi Level 1

Wow! Do you even read the posts before you respond with knee-jerk rudeness and condescension? Do you represent Adobe in some official way? If so, I would be interested in their opinion of what you are posting on their behalf. "Entitled?" Between myself and my institution, our purchases from Adobe are in the hundreds of thousands. Are we "entitled" to spend that kind of money? Once again, who here is saying they are expecting anything for free? The price model described above for the stand-alone DPS publishing is, in fact, acceptable. On the other hand, the obvious fact (illustrated by so many users on these boards) that the ongoing DPS subscription is out of reach to virtually all small independent publishers shoud be a wake-up call to Adobe—not an opportunity to chide its existing customers .

• 18. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?

You do realize that you're speaking to people like you. Volunteers who are giving of their time to help others.

We are not Adobe.

So cool your jets!

• 19. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?
                                            MattiasPaludi Level 1

Just curious, how much do you make "volunteering" as an Adobe Certified Instructor and Adobe Certified Expert?

• 20. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?

Zero dollars.

I honestly can say that I've never had a client come from my participation on these forums. People who come here usually want FREE advice.

Similarly, I give talks/demonstrations at the Bay Area InDesign User Group and don't get clients from that group for the same reason.

What I say here represents my own opinion, and may or may not reflect what Adobe says about a given subject.

And I've been participating in user forums long before there was the Adobe Forums, and before I was an ACE and ACI. Oldtimers remember me from the Desktop Publishing Forum on Compuserve in the early 1990s. Some of us just like to help others.

• 21. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?
                                                MattiasPaludi Level 1

The question, Steve, is about your and other Adobe Certified expert's objectiveness. Unless you give your presentations/classes/colums, etc. on behalf of Adobe products for free, you have none. Adobe promotes these forums as a place to get answers (in lieu of thier non-existent sales support). If you think there is nothing wrong with "Adobe Certified Experts" chiding posters on these boards and posting pre-scripted condesending responses, then you are obviously not seeing the experience from this end.

• 22. Re: How can the non-rich create rich media iPad content with InD?

Who can really be "objective"? Each of us looks at a situation from our experience.

If you want a different viewpoint than you find in the Adobe forums, you should look for forums in a different place on the web. Each to his or her own! Vive la difference!