10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2012 7:25 AM by Amikoe

Quark to ID CS4: re-anchoring photos to text

Amikoe Level 1

I have an association roster-book I created years ago in Quark, with members' photos anchored to their info. When converting to ID (Q2ID) the photos are not anchored anymore....

Is there a way to globally re-anchor those photos?  Re-doing it manually, a photo at a time, beside it being cumbersome, creates some un-desirable behavior since the text is already having those photos "embeded" somehow...

...Thanks.

• 1. Re: Quark to ID CS4: re-anchoring photos to text
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It would help to see a screen shot of the page with a Photo selected and both non-printing characters and text threads showing. I suspect the photos may be anchored objects and you need to change the anchored object settings for them. An easy way to do that woumd be to make an Object style with the correct positioning information, then apply it to the photos.

You can emebed a screen capture in a post by using the camera icon onthe web page like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 2. Re: Quark to ID CS4: re-anchoring photos to text
            Amikoe Level 1

Here are 2 screen shots (I changed all info to maintain people's privacy...):

1. Shows how it looks before I do anything. When trying to detect HOW does ID create this configuration, the pictures don't have any text-wrapping attributes, and the Anchored Object options are all grayed out. Still, when I move the the photos around the text does wrap around them, and when I delete a photo the text moved and lines-up to the left:

Picture 1.jpg

2.  Here it is when followed ID instructions to anchor a picture: I cut the top photo, and then anchored it to the 1st line. The photo lined up to the line's baseline, as it should.  But when I moved it down (using the item tool (or even via Anchored Object Options) the text did not line-up consistently, as you can see.... I guess the photo still has some "hidden" attributes that ID can detect and dislike...

Picture 2.jpg

Of course, what I really want, is find a way (a script?) to turn this whole document globally, so I don't have to do it one at a time (which in itself is a problem...)...

THANKS !

• 3. Re: Quark to ID CS4: re-anchoring photos to text

I can't quite tell waht's going on from the screen capture (not your fault). Are you sure the photos are not already inlines and that they don't have wrap applied? They certainly look like it.

Do you remember how you set it up in Quark? That might give a clue.

• 4. Re: Quark to ID CS4: re-anchoring photos to text
                Amikoe Level 1

When converting the document to ID (using Q2ID) it shows up like the 1st screen shot. When selecting a photo and going to the TEXT WRAP palette, it shows NO TEXT WRAP... When going to Object>Anchored Object all options are grayed out....

So ID doesn't recognize the photos neither as having text-wraps, nor as anchored (this one makes sense, the photos are indeed NOT anchored, which is my exact problem...). Having no text-wrap when CLEARLY the photos ARE pushing the text to the right, and when I delete a photo -- the text moves back to line-up along the left -- THAT'S WHAT MAKES LITTLE SENSE HERE, as if ID recognizes that SOMETHING was done to these pictures "in the past"...

I can still open the document in Quark, and the pictures are anchored alright.... I may have to go back, work in Quark to update the file... Do I really want to?...

• 5. Re: Quark to ID CS4: re-anchoring photos to text

Would you be willing to send me a sample page to look at. There's not much point in guessing.

• 6. Re: Quark to ID CS4: re-anchoring photos to text
                    Amikoe Level 1

How do I send you a file?

• 7. Re: Quark to ID CS4: re-anchoring photos to text

I'm sending you an upload link in a private message.

• 8. Re: Quark to ID CS4: re-anchoring photos to text
                        Amikoe Level 1

I uploaded my file.

Thanks, Peter !

• 9. Re: Quark to ID CS4: re-anchoring photos to text

OK, I've taken a look.

What's not clear from the screen capture is that each of those graphics is actually two images that are grouped. The text wrap is currently applied to the individual photos inside the group.

You are correct that they are not anchored currently. I suspect that the loss of the anchor is part of the conversion process -- Quark and ID are very different programs, so you have to expect that some things won't translate perfectly. I'm afraid I don't have a one-click solution, but you can speed things us a little by taking one group, cutting, pasting inline and adjusting the position, and adding text wrap to the group (to push the text on the line where it is pasted), then while ithe photo group is selected go to the Object Styles panel and create a new Object Style. Apply it to the currrnet group, and to each group when you select it, and when you paste to anchor it it will have the wrap and positioning already.

It's possible this could all be scripted, but I'm no scripter. You can ask at InDesign Scripting

• 10. Re: Quark to ID CS4: re-anchoring photos to text
                            Amikoe Level 1

Thanks, Peter, I will look into it.