7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2012 12:33 PM by phyllisj9

mirror image right and left pages ???

austin_sw2000

I'm sure I"m missing something obvious but I'm having a problem setting up a new document and need some help. Here's the problem:

My design has mirror image left and right pages, with a wide column of text on the inside side of each page flanked by a narrower column (mostly white space) on the outside of each page. Some elements will extend into or be placed into the narrower outside column (images and some blocks of text will span the entire page, while photo captions and smaller blocks of text will be placed in the outside area).

I first set up the master spread with two custom columns on each page, one wide and one narrow, mirroring each other. That worked fine until I needed to insert an additional page in the middle of my document (which will eventually be 40-60 pages long). When I inserted a page, everything got jumbled. That is, the text from a right-hand page, now on a left-hand page, stayed in it's right-hand position.

Is this making sense? I can't tell.

I've tried various other things but can't get it to work (I tried setting the master spread up as a single wide column on the inside of each page, setting up master text frames on the master spread, and others I've lost track of).

Any thoughts? Thanks for any help you can give me.

• 1. Re: mirror image right and left pages ???
          austin_sw2000 Level 1

I should have said I'm running ID CS5 on Mac OSX 10.6.6.

Thanks -- susan

• 2. Re: mirror image right and left pages ???
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Yup, that's what happens when you insert an odd number of pages.

You can try turning on Layout Adjustment (Layout > Layout Adjustment...) BEFORE adding the pages, and if your frames are snapped to the column guides it might work, but I suspect not. The problem is that your two columns are not going to swap sides just because the master page changed unless perhaps they are actually threaded master text frames. The AutoFlow Pro plugin from In-Tools.com might handle this, though, so you should perhaps take a look at that.

• 3. Re: mirror image right and left pages ???
              austin_sw2000 Level 1

I have tried turning on Layout Adjustment and it didn't help.

So what you're saying is I've created a design that simply won't work  in ID? Unless I buy the plug-in? Oy.

Thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: mirror image right and left pages ???

No, I'm not saying that. First, I don't know if the plugin will work, and second, as long as you add an even number of pages this won't happen.

Do you have the two columns on every page, or are you only using the outside column on some pages? If the main text frame is snapped to margin guides, it should stay snapped when the page changes sides, and if the other frame is also snapped to some guides, ruler guides would be appropriate, if those guides move to the opposite side the frames might move with them whn layout Adjustment is enabled. I don't know for sure because I've never tried exactly what you are doing, but in your shoes I would make a copy of the document, then play withthe master pages to make only a single column text block surrounded by the margins and add ruler guides snapped to the other frame area and see what happens.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: mirror image right and left pages ???
                  austin_sw2000 Level 1

I do have the two columns on every page (the few pages that don't follow the narrow outside/wide inside model have different master pages).

I think I understand what you're suggesting. When you say

play withthe master pages to make only a single column text block surrounded by the margins and add ruler guides snapped to the other frame area and see what happens.

do you mean create a master page with one column as wide as my main text column (the wider inside column), setting the margins to that width, and then use ruler guides to define the narrower outside column? Doing that (in mirror image) on both pages of the master spread?

I think I've tried that (I've kind of lost track) but I am off to try again.

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions.

• 6. Re: mirror image right and left pages ???

Yes, that's exactly what I meant (or maybe just modify the existing master rather than having to assign a new one, which would add ne master objects behind all the text frames on all pages, not just the ones that switched sides).

• 7. Re: mirror image right and left pages ???
                      phyllisj9 Level 2

Not a solution, but in case it's helpful, here's an article on techniques for switching the layout from left to right:

http://indesignsecrets.com/how-to-mirror-a-layout.php

Sometimes you have to manually do it, but at least that's a way to make it a bit faster.