Welcome to our community
Unfortunately we don't have quite enough info to help.
You might take a look at the link below.
Then post back with more information such as RoboFlavor, version and the like.
Helpful and Handy Links
Ok. I'm using RoboHelp 220.127.116.112, RoboHelp HTML
What other info would be helpful? I am happy to give as much detail as anyone is interested to read. :-)
Could you post an image of what you are seeing. You can use the camera icon on the forum toolbar. Also you're outputting WebHelp right? If so, does the problem occur with the generated output (i.e. if you click "View Reults" after you generate). If not, maybe the developer does not have all the output files they require.
From your version number, the first thing to do is to install a critical update to RoboHelp 9.0.2. You will find that here:
It may not be the problem, but we can at least eliminate that as being an issue.
Where I lose you in your explanation, is on Step #7 in your post. I'm not understanding exactly which files you are referring to. Source files? Output files? When you make your glossary changes, you should be regenerating your entire project and resending the entire WebHelp folder to the developer who should then replace the entire folder, not just certain files you have edited. Also, when you generate your WebHelp, can we assume you are able to "View Results" locally in your web browser as expected?
My guess is that the developer is somehow displaying the index.htm, but because of the way it was placed on the server in relation to the web application files, it cannot find the rest of the WebHelp files which make up the full frameset.
Of course, this is only a guess. Fill us in a little more and we'll try to help.
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
I can't take a screen shot right now, because I'm at a different computer, but I am not sure a screen shot would help. Literally, when I open (or when the developer opens--either way) the index.htm file, the whole page is blank, and indeed when I look at the file itself, it is completely blank and zero KB. So I could get a screen shot of the blank browser window, but I'm not sure if that is really what would help. The problem definitely seems to be with the generated output: all the files are there, but some of them are empty files with no content.
With respect to the question from John, I made changes to topics within RH, regenerated the entire project, and resent the entire WebHelp folder to dev. My local results had a blank index.htm after that generation of output build.
I do understand the difference between index.htm and the default topic. But the reason I think the file was blank the 2nd time is that not only was it devoid of content, it also was zero KB whereas the original build was neither blank nor zero KB.
All the other htm files look ok, have content, and do display when clicked.
Thanks so much for thinking about this with me, both of you!!
P.S. I will, of course, install the critical update! and I will report back...
In your WebHelp single source layout the General options has the "Output Folder and Start Page" field. This specifies the location and file that should be used to launch the help. As John describes the file specified is just a frame for the help that includes the content, TOC, toolbar, etc. The default topic is specified in the Content Category section of your single source layout. This is the topic that is displayed in the content section of your frame. So the question is, what file is being used to launch the help? It should be the file specified in the "Output Folder and Start Page" field. One other thing that is not clear to me is what is happening to the TOC, Index and Glossary. Are they being displayed but with no content? Or is it that you are seeing just a single blank frame. This is why we need to see an image. I really can give us a lot of info to help you get to the route of the issue. It sounds like John is correct in his hunch that the wrong file is being launched or that not all the output is being sent to the developer.
I am having the exact same problem, and I think I've figured out what is happening here. There is an issue when mapping Word styles into RH. The person who setup our Word template included a sidehead with conditional text to hide instructor notes when printing participant training manuals. I removed the conditional text, and everything is working fine. You may want to double check to make sure you don't have conditional text in your Word docs. I've uploaded an image with the code below to show how the conditional text looked when the document was linked and generated.
Check out the code below:
<td style="vertical-align: top; padding-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px;
padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px;" height="800" width="114"><table
<td style="padding-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px;
padding-bottom: 0px;"><div v:shape="Text_x0020_Box_x0020_146"
class="shape" style="padding: 3.6pt 7.2pt 3.6pt 7.2pt;">
<p class="WD_InstructorNotesHeading"><span style="background: #ffff00;">Instructor
<p class="WD_InstructorNotesText"><span style="background: #ffff00;">Add
any additional instructor information into this text
box.  It will only appear when hidden text
is turned on.</span></p>
<p class="WD_InstructorNotesText"> </p>