8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2012 5:28 AM by Dallas2004

CS4 Linking Text Boxes Together in Anchored Objects?

Dallas2004

Hi. Using InDesign CS4 I have a Anchored Object that I would like to link part of it to the next one in the text frame. Example: I have grouped together a text box, a box with a placed UPC from Illustrator and another text box stacked on top of each other, all lined up. I group this and place it in a text box so I can set these at different places along a 29" document. When I have overset text, in the top box for example, I see the + sign but can't grab it to try to link the text to the next text box in the Anchored or grouped object. All I can do it change the size of the box - even when holding down the command key on the Mac with the text too enabled. I am setting it up this way so all three boxes stay together when positioning on pages. I have multiple rows of these so it makes it easier to modify. If I take the grouped set out of the text box so it's by itself I can grab the overset text. I am trying to link text boxes so it's easier and faster to flow in text from another program. Thanks.

Pat

• 1. Re: CS4 Linking Text Boxes Together in Anchored Objects?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

A screen shot would really help. Use the camera icon on the web page to embed it in a post like this:

CameraIcon.png

That said, you cannot thread text from an achored frame to anywhere outside that anchored object. Don't know if you can thread frames, then group, and then anchor the group. I would expect you can, but I would also expect that doing so would break any thread to frames outside that group.

• 2. Re: CS4 Linking Text Boxes Together in Anchored Objects?
            Dallas2004 Level 1

Hi. Here is a small screen grab:

Screen 2.jpg

The text will be threaded to the next text frame, so the top text on the left would thread to the top on the right, etc. I would have 14 or 16 of these spread in one text box across the page. I made these like this so the grouping stays together when moved on the page. Thanks.

Pat

• 3. Re: CS4 Linking Text Boxes Together in Anchored Objects?

I can't tell what I'm looking at there. Would you mind zooming out to sho the whole page? And turn on both non-printing characters and text threads so I can see what is curently connected to what, and then add some sort of not showing what you want to thread that isn't. As I said, though, you cannot thread from on anchored object to another, so the best you may be able to get is to use a bunch of inline anchored groups.

• 4. Re: CS4 Linking Text Boxes Together in Anchored Objects?
                Dallas2004 Level 1

OK, I will try to get the whole page later. I want to keep what you see in the screen shot - one of the grouped objects - together as it goes across the page. So the 9232554 text and all bellow that would stay grouped together when I tab it over to line up to a certain spot on the page. This is placed in a text box that runs horizonal on the page, about 28"  across. I also wanted to link the 9232554 box to the 9232729 box which is just a duplicate of the group of text and UPC code before it. But from what you say, and what I tried to do, I can't. Even when all the anchored object groups are in the same long text thread. I tried not grouping  each section - the UPC code sandwiched by the text boxes, but could not place them in the long text box when not grouped togther.

I wanted to flow in the text to all 14 of these grouped or anchored objects, say all top boxes, in one 'paste' instead of doing each one at a time but keeping the 3 elements you see togther at all times.

Pat

• 5. Re: CS4 Linking Text Boxes Together in Anchored Objects?

I'm still a little fuzzy on what you mean, but I'm pretty sure you can't do it. 9232554 cannot be threaded to 9232729 if they are in different anchored objects.

I don't think I need to see 28" wide, but maybe enough to see the top and bottom of the page and the edge of the text frame these are in, along wioth the non-printing characters and the text threads.

• 6. Re: CS4 Linking Text Boxes Together in Anchored Objects?
                    Dallas2004 Level 1

Screen grab below, looks small though. If I can't link the boxes with each other in the long text frame, going from left to right, than it is what it is. I just need to keep all 3 elements in each group together, somehow, when I tab or move them on the page. Linking them would be ideal and a real time saver. I  can link the text boxes then group them and then copy them to a longer text box as a nchored object, but they stay as one group, can't control spacing, etc.

screen 4.jpg

• 7. Re: CS4 Linking Text Boxes Together in Anchored Objects?

What is that red line running down and to the right from the top center of the screen grab?

I don't think you're going to find a good solution. If you want to treat a "top number," barcode, and the number below the barcode as a single object, they need to be grouped if you plan on being able to add or remove a set and have the others fill in. That said, if you DON'T need to have them flow like text, you could do this as a Data Merge project if your data is set up correctly.

• 8. Re: CS4 Linking Text Boxes Together in Anchored Objects?
                        Dallas2004 Level 1

The red line was just a box I drew to hide some of the rules that I use for the crop marks between each length of text/UPC info. I think if I have them flow like text it will be the easiest way to make changes and have other people pick up the file to make changes also. Data Merge is not a option right now, so I will muddle through and continue to do it the way I am doign it until I find a better solution. Thanks.

Pat