9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2018 11:52 AM by Test Screen Name

Merge/Combine Two PDFs with Signatures

RAOmilctr

I have distributed a PDF with multiple signature fields and distributed it via email.

I can gather in the responses via adding a file and see the signed blocks on each separate PDF.

What I need to do is to combine the two files into one. When I add the responses, the Tracker says "Your form has been successfully distributed. Responses will be combined into a single file."

What I cannot figure out is how this is accomplished. The signature blocks are on one page (three blocks). I want to have each signature on the same page, just as if the PDF had been handed to each person to sign. When I try to combine the files into a single file, I get warnings that the digital signatures will be removed. This defeats the purpose. When I try to create a PDF portfolio, I get two files displayed; two full complete versions of the 30 page document with a signature from each respondant on a page. Also defeats the purpose.

Right now, the only thing that I can see to do is to ask the respondants to send their signed copy to the next person in line, but this also defeats what I believe the purpose for "distributing" the files is in the first place.

I'm sure that I'm missing something. Any ideas or help out ther to steer me in the right direction, please?

MacOS 10.6.8, All updates, Acrobat Pro X, v10.1.2, recently updated.

Thanks!

Rich

• 1. Re: Merge/Combine Two PDFs with Signatures
          Joel_Geraci Adobe Community Professional

When a didital signature is created, (signed) Acrobat runs a calculation (checksum) across the whole document so that when you examine the validity of the signature, you can detect if the document has been changed between the time it was signed and when you ar elooking at it. Because of this fact, you are never going to be able to combine multiple signed document into a continuous paged PDF file... only a Portfolio, which actually still treats them as separate files but just puts them in a wrapper.

When the Tracker says "Your form has been successfully distributed. Responses will be combined into a single file." - it means a Portfolio.

J-

• 2. Re: Merge/Combine Two PDFs with Signatures
            Dr. Shane

Did this ever get solved?  I have the exact same issue as the OP.  I agree that sending a single document with multiple signature blocks to each person, and having them send it to the next person, etc. defeats the purpose of the distribution feature.

Should be able to send the form to everyone at once, and then as you get signatures back, they combine into a single pdf with ALL the signatures, assuming the content is unchanged (content except for signature, of course).  The checksum should exclude signatures.

• 3. Re: Merge/Combine Two PDFs with Signatures
              margueritek Level 3

You can do this with Adobe Sign. The document can be distributed in parallel to all signers, and they can sign in any order. When complete, you will get a single PDF with all the digital signatures in place.

I believe you need more than the basic level to have this feature.

• 4. Re: Merge/Combine Two PDFs with Signatures
                Dr. Shane Level 1

I have Adobe DC Professional.  Surely Professional version should be able to do anything Adobe Sign can do.

• 5. Re: Merge/Combine Two PDFs with Signatures
                  Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

No because it is IMPOSSIBLE to combine signed files into a single non-portfolio file without breaking the signatures. By design and forever. Adobe Sign is an online service which manages all of the signing in series.

• 6. Re: Merge/Combine Two PDFs with Signatures
                    margueritek Level 3

Adobe Sign can handle digital signatures from multiple signers "in parallel". The order of signing is determined by whoever signs first. If two people try to sign "simultaneously", one will succeed and the other will be asked to retry. Each signer is presented with a document signed by all previous signers, to add his signature. At the end, all signatures are in place in a single document. Think of Adobe Sign as holding a copy of the document signed by all those who signed before you, and refereeing the order of signers, so you don't have to send the document from one to the next. The actual signing at each stage is done with Acrobat or Reader.

• 7. Re: Merge/Combine Two PDFs with Signatures
                      Dr. Shane Level 1

^^ Exactly.  This is exactly how Adobe Sign works with multiple parties signing a single document.  At the end, each party gets a single copy of the pdf with all of the signatures.  It works "in parallel" as opposed to "in series."  I suppose it may actually work in series, but not from the perspective of the end user who signs whenever he/she gets to it.  My point, or rather, my opinion, is that Adobe Professional should also include this functionality without resorting to the online paid service that Adobe Sign is.

• 8. Re: Merge/Combine Two PDFs with Signatures

No, it's impossible.

• 9. Re: Merge/Combine Two PDFs with Signatures

Adobe Sign has the one file and manages all the signatures. As if you invited each person to come to your PC and sign. I think you might say a key reason for Adobe Sign to exist is to manage multiple signatures in "parallel" which are actually done in series.

Of course, I might be wrong. Why not post a feature request? I wouldn't hold your breath though.