4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2012 2:57 PM by the marketing guy

Merge two clips?

the marketing guy Level 1

In PE-10 I have split a clip of an interview into three segments to edit-out (delete) the middle segment. (Basic editing, I think, to get rid of
      "um"s and pauses). I then join the first and third segments and it all sounds fine. I have also grouped the two remaing segments so if I move them, they go together. So far so good.

MY QUESTIONS is: can I *remove* the split so that the two clips are treated as one? As it is, if I hit the Pan and Zoom button, it wants me to select just one clip. It would be nice if I could say, no, just treat these two as one... this is not so strange, BTW, I can do this in the sound editing software I use (Cubase).

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Merge two clips?
          nealeh Level 5

I don't see a way to do it. Whether that is by design or a bug I don't know. While P&Z can be applied to a movie clip I tend to think of it as a tool for still images. What are you trying to do with it, there may be an alternative method?

If you really want to join the clips you would need to set the work area bar to span the two clips and then export to DV-AVI to create a new joined clip that you can import back. If you search Tips & Tricks Bill Hunt has an article on how to do this with a lossless codec (although DV-AVI doesn't perform too much compression).

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Merge two clips?

Thanks Neale-- THat's a good question about why I want to P&Z, because, now that you mention it, all I really want to do is crop the footage to bring the speaker in closer, not go roving around the clip. But I don't want make the final clip screen smaller with a big black border around it. All I came up with was to use P&Z to zoom in, keeping the zoom "box" proportional (shift/drag) to the original clip size and moving it to where I want it-- not necessarily the center of the clip, btw. I bet there's a better way to do this... What do you think?

• 3. Re: Merge two clips?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You can use the Fixed Effects>Motion>Scale (Zoom), and Motion>Position (Pan), to the desired level of Zoom, and placement of the Pan, to one of those Clips. When you are satisfied, Rt-click on it, and choose Copy. Then, Rt-click on the other, choosing Paste Attributes, to get the same Zoom and Pan.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Merge two clips?

Thanks Bill-- That works great!