• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why doesn't my line move when making changes to the leading?

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2012 Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope I can explain this properly. I have a text box that has multiple paragraphs. I want different leading for some of the paragraphs. When I highlight the paragraph I want to change and reduce the leading from the "auto" setting, the paragraph lines don't close up, but the whole paragraph moves up. I have tried everything I can think of and it just won't work. I can increase the leading and that works but I can't decrease it.

I'm using InDesign 7.0.4 on Mac OS 10.6.8

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

I found your question because I was having the same problem. I fixed it by quadruple clicking the text to make sure all of it was selected. A good explanation of why this works is here: http://indesignsecrets.com/reigning-in-rogue-leading.php.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The paragrhs may be using the baseline grid..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found your question because I was having the same problem. I fixed it by quadruple clicking the text to make sure all of it was selected. A good explanation of why this works is here: http://indesignsecrets.com/reigning-in-rogue-leading.php.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to the above, it's a good idea to 'Show hidden characters' which is under the 'type' menu. This will let you know if you have selected everything in the paragraph/line.

On a side note, to keep the spacing between the paragraph's consistent, don't select the entire paragraph - instead select all lines but the top, then adjust the leading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 02, 2012 Mar 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RikRamsay14 wrote:

On a side note, to keep the spacing between the paragraph's consistent, don't select the entire paragraph - instead select all lines but the top, then adjust the leading.

I prefer to use leading to control space between lines within a paragraph, and space before/after to control the space between paragraphs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 02, 2012 Mar 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Michael Gianino wrote:

I prefer to use leading to control space between lines within a paragraph, and space before/after to control the space between paragraphs.

Agreed. I was referring to the poster above me who advised selecting the entire paragraph and I was making the OP aware of the potential issue this would cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for your quick and helpful answers! I think part of my issue is being a former Quark user, I'm expecting things to work a certain way and well, they don't in InDesign!

Thanks again!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines