2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2012 7:43 AM by PagePageUI

TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: button + IFocusManager

PagePageUI

I am writing an application that only uses the keyboard to navigate throught the components on a page.

When the user presses the any arror key, the focus is set to the component that has focus.

For example, i have a container that has several images layout, the user can navigate to the other images

that container using the arror keys.

First, i tried using images as the component to store the image but i found out that i could not set the focus on an

images component. Then i used buttons and set the icon property to the source of the image and it worked fine.

But then i made a botton component in another mxml file i named buttonImage so i could set the icon property in the

main application file. When i run it and navigate to the button that is a button is buttonImagel file, i get an error.

"TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert components::buttonImage@121ca15c1 to mx.managers.IFocusManagerComponent."

Does anyone know how i can fix this issue? I would really appreciate it. Here's some of my code:

buttonImage.mxml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<s:Group xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"

<s:Button

width="160" height="220"

icon="images/genre.png"

focusColor="#28ff2b"/>

</s:Group>

MainApplication.mxml     

//this is the code in the script block

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<s:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"

switch(key)

{

case Keyboard.LEFT: //left keycode: 37

{

if((pattern.indexOf("content_container")) > 0)

{

IFocusM.setFocus(nav_content_container[elem_id].left);

drawInitialFocus(nav_content_container[elem_id].left);

IFocusM.getFocus().drawFocus(true);

focused_component = String(IFocusM.getFocus());

trace('Focus is now on ' + focused_component);

}

//this is the mxml code in the MainApplication.mxml

<s:TileGroup id="content_container"

width="700" height="100%"

horizontalGap="20" verticalGap="20">

<s:Button id="first" width="200" height="250" icon="images/charlottes_web.jpeg" focusColor="#28ff2b" focusThickness="4"/>

<s:Button id="second" icon="images/bad_lieutenant.jpeg" focusColor="#28ff2b"/>

<s:Button id="third" icon="images/caroline.jpeg" focusColor="#28ff2b"/>

<s:Button id="fourth" icon="images/che.jpeg" focusColor="#28ff2b"/>

<s:Button id="fifth" icon="images/date_movie.jpeg" focusColor="#28ff2b"/>

<components:buttonImage id="last"/>

</s:TileGroup>

</s:Application>