9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2012 4:34 AM by Steve Grisetti

Aero Problems on Win 7 With PRE, PSE and OE

johnhyslep

I am using nVideo GeForce GTS 8800 (rev 8.17.12.9573 2/9/2012) and having trouble with Aero on PRE, PSE and OE version 10 and a dual monitor system. The problems are numerous and involve trying to resize windows and display resolutions with these products. My question is: Do products these fully support the Aero display modes? The problems don't show up on any other products such as BLENDER, VLC, GIMP etc. and other proprietary and GPL products.

• 1. Re: Aero Problems on Win 7 With PRE, PSE and OE
          nealeh Level 5

There is a newer driver at nvidia (v295.73WHQL) but I have an 8800GT and driver 285.62WHQL that works fine with PRE. So there may be some other problem going on with your machine.

What are the "numerous problems"?

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Aero Problems on Win 7 With PRE, PSE and OE
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be that your computer isn't powerful enough to run Aero on two monitors AND run Premiere Elements.

What happens if you go to Advanced System Settings/Advanced/Performance Settings and uncheck Visual Styles on Windows and Buttons?

There's certainly no conflict between these programs and those features -- but they both eat a tremendous amount of power and, on your system, you may need to decide on one or the other.

• 3. Re: Aero Problems on Win 7 With PRE, PSE and OE
              johnhyslep Level 1

Hi,

PSE shows the fewest problems, in minimum mode try expanding the window by clicking at the top (of PSE) and dragging up or down. The arrow should change to double sided and you should be able to expand or contract the window. Try it on another app. It should work okay (window expands or contracts). Also the top of the window should be translucent to be compliant with Aero (so should PRE and OE be translucent at the top).

I could live with that; but if I try to maximize the OE window in the left monitor, I only get one half of OE. The other half is off the left side of monitor.

The biggest problem is that PRE does not maximize in a 1920 x 1080 monitor; it goes back to the right monitor in 1280 x 720 res. mode. ALL of the other Windows (non Adobe) apps do work all right even BLENDER and VLC which are GPL. This means that I can't run PRE at higher res. which is a major advantage for a video editing app.

It appears that these programs from Adode may not be using the Microsoft Windows API calls, that the other Windows programs use to resize. If this is the case; it shows sloppy programming techniques.

I do have latest drivers from nVideo.

I hope that this clear; it is a little complicated. Anyhow, thanks for your interest and for giving me the opportunity to vent my frustration.

John H

• 4. Re: Aero Problems on Win 7 With PRE, PSE and OE
                johnhyslep Level 1

Steve,

I am running 4gigs of RAM on a dual core Pentium CPU at 2.66g hertz. a 6.0 out of 7.9 MS performance. Bender a 3D app runs just fine with 2 monitors. I can't get much more power.

See my elaboration.

Thanks, I will try your suggestions.

John H.

• 5. Re: Aero Problems on Win 7 With PRE, PSE and OE

Unfortunately, with just a dual-core Pentium, this may be as good as it gets. Sorry.

• 6. Re: Aero Problems on Win 7 With PRE, PSE and OE
                    N9JCR Level 2

Just to add to Steve's comment about Aero: I recently upgraded to a quad core/eight thread, 12 GB RAM, Intel i7 @ 3.4GHz.  Even on this pretty fast PC, Aero just sucked the life out of it.  The difference in responsiveness in PRE with Aero on or off was hard to believe.  Of course I can't say that it's not PRE's fault, as you indicate it could be the API used but there's no question that Aero and PRE don't play well together. 

I've not seen a problem with PRE and 1920 x 1080 (with or without Aero).  My display adapter is an HD 6670 if that is of any help.

Bob

• 7. Re: Aero Problems on Win 7 With PRE, PSE and OE
                      johnhyslep Level 1

Steve,

Your answer to my problem is vague to say the least. Are you "sorry" because you still believe that my system does not have the power to run a 2 monitor application. I checked and it measures 6.8 out of 7.9 on graphics. I am running PRE, PSE and OE alone with no photos or video loaded on the applications.

THIS IS NOT A PERFORMANCE PROBLEM AS YOU CONTENT.

It is a problem of unorthodox programming by the people at Adobe. As I previously stated; they are not using the correct Windows AERO calls. This can be proved by the fact that AERO peek and other parameters in the Advanced System Settings/Advanced/Performance Settings screen you mention control all of the AERO parameters. Changing these parameters affects all of the AERO features in applications except features on the Adode screens in question. This proves that Adode is not making the AERO API calls. PRE AND OE DO NOT USE AERO.

THESE PROGRAMS ARE NOT WINDOWS 7 AERO COMPLIANT AS YOU AND ADOBE CONTEND.

Please stop making excuses for Adode's incompetent engineering; by stating that these are user performance problems.

John H.

• 8. Re: Aero Problems on Win 7 With PRE, PSE and OE
                        johnhyslep Level 1

PRE AND OE DO NOT USE AERO. sorry

John H.

• 9. Re: Aero Problems on Win 7 With PRE, PSE and OE

Okay. So a dual-core Pentium is powerful enough to run two computer monitors and an extremely intensive program without any compromising its very intenstive visual styles. That doesn't quite explain why people running more powerful computers aren't having the issues you are (I'm running a 2.66 ghz dual-core Intel and I'm not even remotely having this problem) -- but if that's your story and you're sticking to it, I guess it ends the discussion.