4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2012 12:39 PM by fmmisa

Sequence edit strategy - help finding articles, resources discussing approaches...

fmmisa

Hi All...

I've just finished editing my first video documentary...

Just a 5min. entry for a local contest.

Adobe Premiere - worked Great !

BUT - I'm confused by the differences and resulting consequences (for future management, ripple, roll, etc.) between:

a) Nesting,  b)Grouping,  c)Linking artifacts on the Premiere timeline....

For my documentary - I:

1) I Grouped together video and related audio....  Though "Linking" seemed to acheive the same goal - what's the difference..

2) I did NOT "Nest" any of my content - instead I would build transitions, audio, titles, videos etc. for a given scene in one "Sequence" container timeline.

Once I was happy with this - I would save - and then just Drag/Drop that sequence onto another "Root" level - or Main sequence that I would use

to gather all my scenes together... It's on this "Main" top-level sequence - that I would add my final narration and background music ?

What's the point of "Nesting" - if you can just drag-drop your content to other sequences - and it appears as a single video/audio channel ?

Can anyone here - forward me to a good article, resource discussing some higher level strategies for organizing sequences etc. for larger projects...

Pros/Cons..

Thanks very much...

• 1. Re: Sequence edit strategy - help finding articles, resources discussing approaches...
          shooternz Level 6

Your step 2 actually is "nesting" (and not normally used the way you did)

Most editors do all their editing to a single sequence. ie add their assets directly to a single sequence.

Then they may  use a nest within that sequence.  Nests are used in many different ways and for many different reasons.

Some editors will use more than one sequence in a project to mange the project in a way they prefer.

I am sure you can find many books on editing  (Amazon) and there are many editing tutorials on line.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sequence edit strategy - help finding articles, resources discussing approaches...
            fmmisa Level 1

Thanks very much my friend...

* Is there any danger - to the approach I took...

* What advantage/difference - is there between groups video/audio.... instead of "linking"...

Re: Nesting...the way you describe... sounds like - the ends are the same...

You say most editors work with a single sequence - but - when that sequence gets busy...

then they grab logical-sections/"scenes" and "Nest" them....

** The act of doing that would replace all that busy/complexity with a single video/audio channel - linked to a newly created sequence container - with everything that was selected for the "nest" operation.

You still end up with two sequence containers...  a top-level one... and linked "children" ?

Sorry if this is too newbie of a question...

But I don't think timeline/sequence nesting/management strategies are really discussed in depth anywhere in the online help....

I'd hate to get far into a more complex project - based on poor workflow I've developed for my first work.... only to learn that there are problems

issues - with my approach.   Perhaps the crashes or limits w.r.t. editing ?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Sequence edit strategy - help finding articles, resources discussing approaches...
              shooternz Level 6

No danger in what you are doing.

People tend to edit the way their heads work.

To me ...your way seems cumbersome, slow and overly organised without a benfit that I can see. 

(You must end up with a lot of sequences in your project if you are doing one for every asset and I suspect you do quite a lot of rendering of nests in timelines)

Nests do not  carry through the preview files from the source sequence.

I work with clips audio and graphics on multiple layers in a sequence (which I have planned and organised).  This allows me to easily change any component easily.

I will plan what I require in a sequence that is to be nested.   eg a common section of my film I need to use in other edits or an edit that has some alternative fx, scenes, audio etc...

• 4. Re: Sequence edit strategy - help finding articles, resources discussing approaches...
                fmmisa Level 1

Really great thoughts.

Thank you for sharing....

I'm not doing one seq.container per asset... but I think I'm beginning to grasp the point you're making...

* Your point on preview files carrying over from source - is very interesting...

I'll go back to the documentation - and my timelines and try it your way.... to better understand..

Thanks

Cheers

Frank