8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2008 6:37 AM by Peter Grainge

Problems with HTML code in RoboHelp7

TWSisters Level 1
      Hi all,
      we upgraded from X5 to RH7, happy that Adobe had promised to "clean up" the code their editor produces. Since then, we hit a few problems with characters and entities and whatever. At some point, we wished we had the good old kadov tags, at least they didn't mess up our output... I know that Adobe is aware of some of the problems already, still I hope that many of you who encounter similar problems will report them, maybe this will speed things up. Also, this is to warn those that haven't upgraded yet - if you have a really big project already from X5, there might be a few surprises. Here are the things that make us unhappy:

1. When inserting a special character via Insert > HTML > Symbols, HTML code is generated that depends on the language of the Robo Help IDE. For example, when inserting an ellipsis,

English RH version: <symbol name=Ellipsis><robohelp>&#8230;</robohelp>
      German RH version: <symbol name=Auslassungszeichen><robohelp>&#8230;</robohelp>

If the name attribute of the symbol tag is evaluated when the document is later read back into RH's WYSIWYG editor, then this will obviously be a problem if the RH version uses a different language. Our expectation would be that the generated HTML does not use localized markup.

2. The HTML generated by the WYSIWYG editor is <!doctype HTML public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Frameset//EN">
      This DTD does not define a tag named robohelp. Using <robohelp>whatever</robohelp> is therefore invalidating the document. An HTML renderer that adheres to the DTD will not render this document correctly.
      The same holds for the symbol tag. Additonally, this tag is not closed properly, it is missing the </symbol>

3. Improper document encoding used. Load a correctly encoded HTML document, for example, from a RoboHelp X5 project (using charset=windows-1252 and some typical characters, including
      0xB0 0x00B0 #DEGREE SIGN
      0xB5 0x00B5 #MICRO SIGN
      0xC4 0x00C4 #LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS).

Switch to WYSIWYG and back, note that the document now specifies charset=utf-8. However, the remaining content of the document does not change. This is wrong, as it changes the interpretation of these bytes so that they encode different characters. The generated HTML must either specify the correct charset or encode all characters according to the charset that the document claims to use.

4. Correctly encoded characters in an HTML document, such as the ellipsis character &H8230; (which might be represented in an HTML document using this entity, but also as byte 0x85 and charset=windows-1252) displays correctly in the WYSIWYG editor. Upon generating HTML, the entity &ldots; is generated. However, this entity is not defined in the DTD used by the document and is therefore inappropriate and not displayed correctly by the browser. http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=449&threadid =1315341&highlight_key=y&keyword1=ldots#4770475 shows that other users see similar problems with other characters.
      This is really basic, IMHO. I expect that if I open a topic from X5, edit it, and save it again, all the characters are still displayed correctly!
        • 1. Re: Problems with HTML code in RoboHelp7
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          Item 1 does indeed cause a problem if you paste it in. I don't know if it is any different if you close a project under the English interface and then open it under the German interface. Have you tried that?

The other items I wouldn't like to comment on. As Adobe do not monitor the forum, I have brought this post to their attention.

• 2. Re: Problems with HTML code in RoboHelp7
            JainVivek Level 1
            TWSisters

Regarding (2), we should understand that every HTML editor maintains special information like conditional tags, variable names, snippets etc which require special handling. Unlike RoboHelp, some editors hide this information (in some sense, their code view is not actual code view) and if you open the same HTML file in wordpad you find these tags. In case of RoboHelp, these special tags are removed during generation of final output. In summary, Adobe RoboHelp 7 generates one of the cleanest HTML output.

We are investigating issues (1), (3) and (4).

regards
            Vivek Jain
            Adobe Systems
            • 3. Re: Problems with HTML code in RoboHelp7
              TWSisters Level 1
              Thanks for your answers!
              Peter, I did report this to Adobe support using their bug report, sorry if I didn't make this clear enough.
              Regarding (1), if I remember correctly, we opened the file that was produced under German interface under the English interface, and also tried to import such a file. The result is that RH removes the <robohelp> tags, but keeps the rest, including "Auslassungszeichen". It displays an empty space.
              I guess we have a special situation, with multiple authors working on the same files in the US and Germany, which is why we ran into this problem. As we do not want to run any risks, all of us that were running the German version have deinstalled RH and installed the English version. Therefore, we can't test this anymore.

Regards,
              TWSisters
              • 4. Re: Problems with HTML code in RoboHelp7
                No worries.

At least you now know that Adobe are aware at a senior level of the various issues you raised.

• 5. Re: Problems with HTML code in RoboHelp7
                  TWSisters Level 1
                  Hi all,
                  looks like today's patch 7.01.001 fixes item 4, our most urgent problem. After I installed it, I can now no longer see RH converting my ellipses to &ldots.
                  We're very happy that Adobe reacted so quickly to this problem.
                  • 6. Problems with HTML code in RoboHelp7
                    You should have seen the size of the lads we sent round to have a word with them!

• 7. Re: Problems with HTML code in RoboHelp7
                      TWSisters Level 1
                      Hi again,
                      it's almost a year ago that we reported some issues to Adobe (see above). The problem described under 1. seems to persist:
                      "When inserting a special character via Insert > HTML > Symbols, HTML code is generated that depends on the language of the Robo Help IDE. If the name attribute of the symbol tag is evaluated when the document is later read back into RH's WYSIWYG editor, then this will obviously be a problem if the RH version uses a different language. "
                      Our latest experience is that our colleagues in Japan, who use the Japanese version, opened our project written with the English version of RoboHelp, and they can't see any of the symbols inserted using Insert->HTML->Symbol. Of course, they didn't notice it right away, because there is simply an empty space where the symbol (e.g., endash or registered symbol) should be.
                      Has anyone else experienced this? Any fixes for this issue?

Kathrin
                      • 8. Re: Problems with HTML code in RoboHelp7
                        If you have patch 7.0.2 you have the last patch issued.

I agree the symbols that RH inserts should work in all languages but given that you know they do not, can they not be inserted in some other way? For example as suggested in Snippet 93 on my site.