I think you answered your own question. It appears that one of your ebook
sellers has a problem. If you're running Windows 7, this may be due to the
security/firewall setup in Windows 7. You should check the permissions in
the firewall setup to make sure that it will allow communications from that
Hope this helps!
I am running windows 7. I went to the control panel to check the permissions for Adobe Digital Editions. But how do I check the permissions in the firewall for the ebookseller?
The strange thing is, up to this week, I had no problems downloading books from this particular ebookseller.
Software changes - and perhaps the ebookseller updated theirs...
I had the same problem trying to read a library E-book.
Wierd - but i solved it by switching from my home wireless broadband to my personal hotspot (Iphone)
Immediately worked like a charm and downloads the pdf using the acsm file.
Scenario 1 Above is with my laptop (Lenovo).
Scenario 2: When I transferred the purchase to my ipad, similar issue of "Document is unavailable at this time". Again, I switched to my hotspot and the thing authenticated.
This whole episode is after i tried:
1. restarting the computer,
2. turning off antivirus,
3. changing the clock time to 2 hours behind, and;
4. contacting the Adobe support, who helpfully told me that ADE is free and hence they can only help with installing and logging into ADE (everything else had to be checked with the E-book developer) Mind you, this step 4 is the recommended final step.
Good luck all and hope this helps.
Thanks v much. I tried Adobe helpdesk with very much the sane result.
Let me try your suggestion over the wkend. I have to figure out how to tap
on my phone as a wireless hotspot first. Currently its the other way around
- my phone is tapping on my pc fibre network.
I used my phone's network to download the book. It works. Thanks so much
for your help.