So I saved each button out individually and then when converting to a button this happens:
So as you can see the button would be active when rolling over parts of the following two buttons. I tried to save the images out straight up and down (not at an angle) and created button symbol and then rotated, same thing happened. When masked same thing happens?? Can I manipulate the button symbol area's shape like a polygon hot spot? I am so frustrated I even tried to do this in flash but I need a transparent background so my custom background shows through. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME OR TELL ME IT CAN'T BE DONE SO I CAN BEGIN TO RETHINK & REDESIGN IF I HAVE TO.
You could do this in Flash easily by setting the SWF wmode to transparent.
I think the only way you'd be able to create the sort of nav you want from Fireworks is to use an image map. So what you'd have to do is:
1) Create a slice that covers your whole nav
2) Create a seperate state for each nav item's over state
3) Add polygon hotspots over the buttons
4) Add a swap image behavior to each button hotspot to swap the nav slice to the appropriate state (select the hotpspot, drag the target icon over the slice)
That will result in an entire nav image for every single button, so it's not a very efficient method. Alternatively you could create this using custom HTML, perhaps even CSS transforms, but not by outputting from Fireworks.
Actually here is a much simpler way:
* First of all, don't convert your button graphics to button symbols. Buttom symbols can't have polygon slices.
1. Group each button (Ctrl+G)
2. Select all the buttons
3. Right click and choose "Insert Polygon Slice" and choose "Multiple"
Now you can add links and swap behaviors to those slices as normal.