5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2012 7:06 AM by MadManChan2000

Is DNG Profile Editor compatible with CS3

Andrew Hall NZ Level 1

I am working with PS CS3 and have a new camera - Sony NEX 5N. I would love to upgrade PS but for the time being I cannot afford to. I convert my NEX raw files to DNG using the latest version of the converter. I am now thinking I would like to create my own profile of the camera. Previously I used the Thomas Fors script but I gather the DNG PE is better. Am I right in thinking that by shooting a MacBeth chart and using the Chart tab I can do this and that it will work for CS3 and the NEX 5n.

Related question, does DNG converter already apply a specific Adobe created color profile for the NEX 5N under the "Standard" option in ACR, so all I am trying to do is tweak Adobe's profile?

Thanks for any help

• 1. Re: Is DNG Profile Editor compatible with CS3
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Yes.  The profiles made with DNG PE will work under Camera Raw 4 in CS3.  You just need to be sure you have at least ACR version 4.5. 

• 2. Re: Is DNG Profile Editor compatible with CS3
            Andrew Hall NZ Level 1

Thanks (great news). Another question (hope it is ok to stay in same thread):

I notice that in the Profile Editor the starting base profile offered is Adobe Standard (NEX 5N) - does this mean that Profile Editor is already working with a camera specific profile for this model of camera so that creating a profile is only attempting to tweak what Adobe has already done? If the answer is yes then ...in ACR the profile is noted as just "Adobe Standard" but I assume it is working with the same profile as the Profile Editor ie it has already been based on a Sony NEX 5N (rather than some generic assumptions for this type of camera)... what I am getting at is that using the Adobe Standard is most probably already well on its way to being a good fit for my camera and I can probably do acceptable tweaking with the main ACR controls.

Cheers

Andrew

• 3. Re: Is DNG Profile Editor compatible with CS3
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can adjust existing profiles, but you can also make new profiles from scratch and name them as you like. For this you need a standardized color chart, like the x-rite Color Checker Passport. The procedure is very simple: shoot the chart and open the DNG in the profile editor. Then position the four "guidance pins" on the corner patches, create color table and export profile. The individual patches can be tweaked before export (as well as some global adjustments).

DNG_PE.jpg

Note that you need to be very careful when you shoot the chart. I got some great tips in >this thread<.

I got the color checker about a month ago, and I'm still not sure that I've managed to make a profile that is any better than the Adobe Standard profile. I do it all by the book, taking great care, and I've even sat with the chart in front of me to verify on screen that all the patches are as close as they can possibly get. And still the Adobe Standard profile seems to give a better overall starting point. YMMV.

So whether it's all worth it depends on a lot of things, including your own preferred workflow. If you expect to do a lot of adjustments to each individual file anyway, there may not be any point. This is not like monitor calibration, where you calibrate for a set of fixed, repeatable conditions (the output). This, on the other hand, is calibrating for wildly varying shooting conditions, and a color which is "right" in one setting may be "wrong" in another. It's a moving target.

Some people advocate making separate profiles for every shooting condition. I don't see the point in that. If you can make one good profile that should cover most normal conditions. Perhaps a dual illuminant profile for daylight-tungsten, and one more for fluorescent lighting which has very different spectral characteristics.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Is DNG Profile Editor compatible with CS3
                Noel Carboni Level 7

Andrew Hall NZ wrote:

I notice that in the Profile Editor the starting base profile offered is Adobe Standard (NEX 5N) - does this mean that Profile Editor is already working with a camera specific profile for this model of camera so that creating a profile is only attempting to tweak what Adobe has already done?

Adobe supplies sets of profiles for many models.  Some of them are based on their own measurements, some are crafted to try to better match in-camera JPEGs, some are for specific shooting situations (e.g., color-enhanced landscapes).  It's sometimes illuminating to just go try them all and see visually what they do for you.

Edit:  I originally answered "Yes", which may be right, but I realized I answered in the context of the raw converter, and I'm not that familiar with the DNG Profile Editor at this point.  If you see other named profiles in the list to choose from, chances are very good that it's picking from the same set available to the raw converter.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Is DNG Profile Editor compatible with CS3
                  MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

DNG PE offers two modes: you either edit an existing profile, or you make a new profile.  To do the former, you have to start from a so-called Base Profile.  Then you make edits on top of that.  To do the latter, you use the Chart Wizard (which creates a new Base Profile called "ColorChecker").

So, if you start with a Base Profile = Adobe Standard, you're just using that as the starting point for your edits.  This is effective, for example, if you find that the Adobe Standard profile is mostly to your liking, and you just want to tweak a few specific things.