5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2012 1:37 AM by keirebu

Images printing from InDesign are not crisp....

keirebu

Hello,

I need some help, I'm trying to insert an image of my signature into a InDesign document, when I print the particular page the signature isn't crisp, it looks jaggy.

The first thing I checked was the image, when I print it from Photoshop, it is perfect!

…the file is a 300DPI JPG, I’m at a total loss…. Can anybody help?

Thank you so much!

Keirebu

• 1. Re: Images printing from InDesign are not crisp....
          MW Design Level 4

Hello Keirebu.

Are the prints from both PS and ID printing at the same size--e.g., did you resize the logo in ID? If you scanned the signature, was it saved as a JPG or another format? Did you scan directly into PS? I would recommend not using JPG files in general, have you tried placing the PSD file into ID?

Take care, Mike

• 2. Re: Images printing from InDesign are not crisp....
            keirebu Level 1

Hi Mike,

Thank you for responding.

I scanned the signature as a JPG, using the Epson utility. The image size is identical in both PS and ID.

I just tried placing the the PSD file that I had created during the editing process, and it gave the same printed results.

Do you recommend always using PSD? I'm getting concerned because this project will be going to the printer soon and I'm starting to wonder if I need to rework the images. Most of the images are coming from Autodesk products, I normally export the image as a PDF then edit them in PS and save to a JPG for the book.  Do you recommend saving these and placing them as a PSD into ID?

Sorry to pose two questions here, I'm getting worried

Thank you for your help!

Keirebu

• 3. Re: Images printing from InDesign are not crisp....
              MW Design Level 4

Keirebu,

I try to place images as TIFFs (no compression artifacts like JPGs have) or native PSDs whenever I need transparency, and sometimes as PNGs (also for transparency). Each time a JPG is saved, it looses quality. I also use PDFs, mainly for items such as your Autocad files because they are vector. And so on.

Try scanning a new version of your signature and save as TIFF. If I recall properly, the Epson utility allows for the TIFF format. If it doesn't, open the scanned JPG in PS and resave as a TIFF. Oh, and make sure you are scanning at a high DPI (1200 dpi isn't too high if you are scanning as B/W, 600 dpi as grayscale and 300 dpi if RGB).

And if the new version is wonky and want someone else to see if the problem is local to your system, feel free to use the private messaging on the forum to PM me. I'll respond to you with my email address. And because it is your signature, scan a new one as a ficticious name.

Take care, Mike

• 4. Re: Images printing from InDesign are not crisp....
                Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

I agree with Mike regarding the re-scanning of the image in TIFF format because JPEG is a lossy method of compression.

However when printing with the JPEG image , in the print dialog box , Under "Graphics" option , select "All" for 'Send data' under Images , it might help.

Also you can open the jpeg file in the Photoshop and increase the resolution there and import it again in the indesign .

• 5. Re: Images printing from InDesign are not crisp....
                  keirebu Level 1

Thank you!

I will try that right now...