5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2012 5:36 AM by Studio57NL

Frustrating lack of support for Mission Control / Spaces on Mac OS

Easybourne Level 1

I'm posting this on the InDesign board, but this question applies equally to all apps in the Creative Suite.

Is there any way to make InDesign/Creative Suite work properly with Spaces (a feature that has been around for years now)? It is incredibly frustrating to not be able to use this excellent organisational aid with any of the Adobe apps. There seems to be a whole mishmash of problems with it, from pallettes disappearing and moving to a different space to the document you are working on, to entire apps not being visible in Mission Control. Not to mention problems when trying to hide/unhide apps.

When I'm working with any other apps on my system, I can take advantage of Mission Control, but have forego these advantages when using the Creative Suite. Isn't it really about time that Adobe put some effort into supporting these OS-level features. Whether you favour Mac OS or Windows, you should be able to take advantages of the system you prefer to work on.

Is there any word on whether CS6 will support these features? (I'm not exactly holding my breath).

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Frustrating lack of support for Mission Control / Spaces on Mac OS
          John Hawkinson Level 5

When I'm working with any other apps on my system, I can take advantage of Mission Control, but have forego these advantages when using the Creative Suite. Isn't it really about time that Adobe put some effort into supporting these OS-level features. Whether you favour Mac OS or Windows, you should be able to take advantages of the system you prefer to work on.

Is there any word on whether CS6 will support these features? (I'm not exactly holding my breath).

There is no word on anything about InDesign CS6 yet. (Those who know can't say, and I'm not aware of any substantive leaked information.)

I think that Spaces/Mission Control support is probably predicated on the Carbon to Cocoa conversion. So until InDesign is a Cocoa app, this is unlikely to improve. Personally I manage to avoid using Spaces to any significant degree, so I don't really notice these things. Have you tried Photoshop, which is a Cocoa app? Does it behave better?

I don't know to what extent these issues are specific to the app, or all tied up in libraries that are common to all the Adobe apps.

• 2. Re: Frustrating lack of support for Mission Control / Spaces on Mac OS
            ahainen Level 1

Bump, totally agree.  Adobe needs to get with the program.  Lion has been out for nearly a year and it just blatantly ignores use with Mission Control.  Constant problems and headaches.

• 3. Re: Frustrating lack of support for Mission Control / Spaces on Mac OS
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ahainen,

Be sure to fill out the Adobe Feature Request form. There are hundreds of different features that different people would like InDesign (and the Creative Suite) to do. But the employees who make those decisions usually do not hang out here. They do read these forms:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 5. Re: Frustrating lack of support for Mission Control / Spaces on Mac OS
                Studio57NL Level 1

I did a quick test.

InDesign is assigned to Desktop 1.

• When I'm in Desktop 2 and I double click an InDesign file it opens in the Desktop I'm in, so in Desktop 2 instead of Desktop 1.
                • When no ID file is already open and one clicks the InDesign icon in the Dock it opens in the current Desktop even if ID is assigned to another Desktop. When a file is open in ID in Desktop 1 you get moved to the right Desktop.
                • However, when ID's Application Frame is ON and you click the app icon in the Dock you de get moved to the right Desktop.

Conclusion: one can only move to the Desktop where ID is assigned to when there's already a file open or when the Application Frame is turned on (which is turned off ofcourse). Otherwise ID, PS and AI open in your current Desktop, overriding the assignation.

This acounts for all CS6 apps (I have CS6 Design Premium) except for Acrobat Pro which seems to open in the Desktop it is assigned to.