13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2012 2:59 PM by shooternz

Can only export 18 minutes of 1 hour time line

ronfab Level 1

Hello

I have a completely rendered, for Neat noise reduction, time line that is just over 1 hour long by about a minute.  This was an award ceremony for a client shot on Sony PMW320 camcorder with SxS card at 1080i 29.97 and set up the same in Premiere on the time line.  Lights illuminating the stage at request of the CEO had been taken down much lower than they should have been because they were bothering him at the lecturn where he was speaking in pre-show checks.  Consequently I had to use 12db gain which left me with a lot of noise.  My plan was to use Neat noise reduction and take care of all the render times and mixing of two mono audio tracks in Premiere before giving him a Quicktime file to use in his FCP system and then he would be able to insert the reaction and floor shots from a 2nd handheld B camera which was mobile on the floor.  I did not know if he had a good noise reduction software program himself and just wanted to save him all the labor.

As I am new to Premiere my first project for this for the time line did not have the audio set up correctly, but the clips were imported into the Media Browser and were able to be worked with OK for a short while before I realized I would nead to redo it for the audio.  From my camera it was a continuous 1 hour take but the SxS files copied straight from my camcorder first to my 2 3TB internal drives set up for RAID 0 on my new Mac Pro from OWC built with their MPG program, were broken into 3.56GB clips of 12 min 32 second lengths.     6 core 3.46ghz CPU and Quadro 4000 GPU  48gb memory for the system.

On the second and new project with the correct audio settings, I experimented with copying those same files from the camcorder to a different 1TB internal drive.  I must have done that differently, maybe by hi lighting the separate clips together and dragging them into the drive, because when I imported them into the Media Browser this time they came in as 1 continuous file.  And that is what is on the noise processed and audio mixed time line.....one continuous sequence with no cuts or breaks in it.

Twice now I have tried to export the completely rendered "continuous" sequence to a 64gb flash drive with the USB 2.0 connector on the Mac.  Each time the process has taken about 7 and 1/2 hours and each time it has stopped at 18 minutes and 11 seconds in.  4.29GB copied for both tries.  Does anyone see something here that explains why the export would stop short each time in the same place?  No error messages, and no problem with RAM as I have the 48gb.   When setting it up and the export begins it shows in the window the full 1 hour length with the start and end points it will take it from.

Thanks much

Ron

• 1. Re: Can only export 18 minutes of 1 hour time line
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you checked the project for gaps.

• 2. Re: Can only export 18 minutes of 1 hour time line
            Jim Curtis Level 3

What's the format of the USB drive?  Perhaps you've reached a file size limit?  If that's not it, perhaps it's file corruption.  You could rule that out by exporting to another drive, and then copy that to the flash drive afterwards.

• 3. Re: Can only export 18 minutes of 1 hour time line
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm inclined to believe the above as well.  Most Flash drives come formatted as FAT32, which can't create files over a certain size.

Instead, export out to an internal drive.

• 4. Re: Can only export 18 minutes of 1 hour time line
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I first thought of FAT32 but his file is over 4 gig.

• 5. Re: Can only export 18 minutes of 1 hour time line
                  ronfab Level 1

Sorry for the delay in getting back.  I had woken around 3:30AM and got up to check the status of the 2nd export attempt, and when I found the same situation as the first attempt, stayed up to post here and see what reponses hopefully might be here when I got up in the morning.

Ann, there are no gaps on the time line as it is one continuous file, due I guess in how I saved it to the other disc.  Just uploaded the one really good Neat profile I got on the individual file segments in the browser from the RAID drive that I had placed on the time line with the first sequence.  The first three of those left a bit more noise in some spots, but a lot of noise still crawling on the right cheek of the CEO in the low light he saddled us with.  Luckily the 4 try Neat really nailed it. 

BUT....after typing the above I just re-inserted the Lexar flash drive and brought up its info and yep it does say, "MS-DOS (FAT 32)"    Uggghhhh!  Bought it a week and a half ago from Office Depot in town.  Wasn't cheap.... $178 plus tax.  Still have my receipt, hopefully they will refund.  This type of scenario is exactly why I bought that large a size ....64gb.  To be able to have enough space to leave shooting job with a client if necessary and they could mail it back to me when the job was offloaded.

Is there any kind of flash drive that size then, that doesn't have the file size restriction I can pick up from on line or like a Frys please?  I think the incredibly slow export was due to the 2.0 USB and all the Neat noise reducing information, plus HD codec I guess.  7 1/2 hour export and only 18 minutes out of the hour covered..  Are there any other convenient options to leave with a client, with maybe SATA connection, which would be safe to ship back to me in these situations that could take the jostling from shipping?

Thanks very much

Ron

• 6. Re: Can only export 18 minutes of 1 hour time line
                    Jim Curtis Level 3

You should be able to reformat your flash drive to Mac OS, NTFS, ExFAT, or whatever is compatible with your delivery recipient.

• 7. Re: Can only export 18 minutes of 1 hour time line
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

FAT32 is used to keep compatibility with Macs, which don't natively have full read/write capabilities for the superior NTFS.

Keeping that compatibility may be an issue.  If your client will be editing in FCP, he's on a Mac, and formatting as NTFS may not be best.  If you're also on a Mac, you can likely format as HFS+, the native Mac file system.  If you're on a PC, that won't be an option for you, though.  You'll have to format as exFAT, which is natively supported on both Windows and Mac (using 10.6.5 or higher), and allows large files.

• 8. Re: Can only export 18 minutes of 1 hour time line
                        ronfab Level 1

Jim and Jim.  I am indeed on a Mac and so is my client.  But is there a link to the kind of instructions to do what you are suggesting, or short sequence of steps I would have to do to make this flash drive capable of not having the 4GB restriction by formatting it to something different?  And be able to work between Macs?    I am not well versed in this area and would greatly appreciate.

Would it be better to return this drive and buy one of, or a specific flash drive that has SATA connector as well?  I've started to search and see they do exist, but is the potential same problem there with those with limits?  Do i need a specific model of flash drive?  That might be the easiest at this point as the export is really slow going with the USB 2.0.  Am looking at over 24 hours if this 1st 16 minutes was an indication.  Just guessing but think it is the frame by frame Neat processing.

• 9. Re: Can only export 18 minutes of 1 hour time line
                          Jim Curtis Level 3

You can use Apple Disk Utility to format it HFS+, ExFAT, or NTFS, IF you have Paragon NTFS for MacOS or some other third-party driver that provides write functionality.  OSX will read NTFS without a third-party driver, but it won't write to it (or format to it).  If you stay in the Mac world, HFS+ should work fine.

• 10. Re: Can only export 18 minutes of 1 hour time line
                            shooternz Level 6

I may have missed something..but why are you exporting to a Flash Drive?

Export to a local drive and then copy to a flash drive is what I would do.

USB 2.0 is very slow in comparison to SATA.

• 11. Re: Can only export 18 minutes of 1 hour time line
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Given the render times induced by the Neat Video plug-in, I'm not sure write speeds are much of an issue on this one.

• 12. Re: Can only export 18 minutes of 1 hour time line
                                ronfab Level 1

shooternz....

Maybe because I don't know any better.  I didn't know that if I exported to a normal drive, like my internal RAID or the internal 1TB with SATA speed, and then "copied" it to the flash drive, the flash drive would take it more quickly?  If it didn't have the 4GB limit issue this one has.  My client is 10 miles away and I just thought I could leave him the flash drive to copy the 1 hour quicktime at his convenience and pace and then mail it back to me in a jiffy bag. 

But I am going to return this 2.0 USB one and get one that is SATA capable to help with the speed issue.  Is exporting to an internal hard drive 1st still a better option even with one of those?  Is it the "exporting" of even an already rendered time line a slower process anyway than "copying" that quicktime later?

And I still have the question, please, if anyone knows.....what would be a brand and model of 64gb SATA capable flash drive that would have no issues with a complete time line exported or copied to it, and would work no problem with Macs?

Thanks again very much

• 13. Re: Can only export 18 minutes of 1 hour time line
                                  shooternz Level 6

You will find it faster to export to your internal SATA.

It is even better if that is the drive that does not have the project media files on it.  The export is accessing those files constantly.

It is handy to have 8 and 16GB flash sticks.  I often use them to deliver exports.  (Never expect to get them back either)