8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2012 8:53 AM by kglad

embedding swf in html with smaller size

myqwer

hi,

I want to embed an swf file that is on a different server.

The thing is that i want the swf to be shown at a smaller size (500X333 instead of 900X600 ).

The problem is that when i change width&height, the swf gets cut-off instead of show shrinking it.

I tried playing with the params, but couldn't get it to work.

what am i suppose to set?

Thank you

p.s.

I don't think it matters but it's a swf of a flex project.

• 1. Re: embedding swf in html with smaller size
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

use percents for the width and height instead of absolute values.

• 2. Re: embedding swf in html with smaller size
            myqwer Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

Sadly, it still cuts the swf. I don't get it.

Maybe there's something to do in the flex project itself?

• 3. Re: embedding swf in html with smaller size

copy and paste your html embed code using percents.

• 4. Re: embedding swf in html with smaller size
                adninjastrator Level 4

You can easily change the display size of the .swf by changing the dimensions in the <object> params. So depending on your HTML embed code, it would look something like this:

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="500" height="333" id="test" align="middle">

or

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="test.swf" width="500" height="333">

or the display dimensions may be hard coded in the swfobject code in the <head>... would have to see the exact embed code to be sure.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 5. Re: embedding swf in html with smaller size
                  myqwer Level 1

Hi,

Here's the code that just cuts the swf and doesn't shrink it like i want.

As I said it's a flex project. Can it be that the dimension are hard coded in the project itself (don't know if that what you meant)?

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"

width="500" height="333"

codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/swflash.cab">

<param name="movie" value="swfFile.swf" />

<param name="quality" value="high" />

<param name="bgcolor" value="#869ca7" />

<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />

<embed src="swfFile.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#869ca7"

width="500" height="333" align="middle"

play="true"

loop="false"

quality="high"

allowScriptAccess="always"

type="application/x-shockwave-flash"

pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer">

</embed>

</object>

• 6. Re: embedding swf in html with smaller size

you're not using a percent.

• 7. Re: embedding swf in html with smaller size
                      adninjastrator Level 4

Appreciate your comments kglad! and while I agree that you can also use percents, I disagree that you must use percent dimensions to resize.

I've never had problems using exact pixel dimensions to resize while using percents less than 100% can produce unexpected results.

Here is a page displaying an original 500x500 .swf and then resized using pixel dimension and resized using %.

The resizing code is the code used by myqwer above... works fine either way... just not the same result....

So while either method (pixel or %) works on most .swfs, something else is preventing it from working for myqwer.

http://www.sqis.net/resize_test2.html

myqwer, can you please post a link to the actual page, there may be something we are not seeing.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 8. Re: embedding swf in html with smaller size

you're right.

he should be using a scale parameter though i though showall was default:

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"

width="500" height="333"

codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/swflash.cab">

<param name="movie" value="swfFile.swf" />

<param name="quality" value="high" />

<param name="bgcolor" value="#869ca7" />

<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />

<param name="scale" value="showall" />

<embed src="swfFile.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#869ca7"

width="500" height="333" align="middle"

scale="showall"

play="true"

loop="false"

quality="high"

allowScriptAccess="always"

type="application/x-shockwave-flash"

pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer">

</embed>

</object>