8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2008 4:46 AM by Newsgroup_User

    Multiuser server and Unicode

    Level 7
      Hi All - has MUS been updated to be Unicode compatible?

      Rgs,
      Ziggi
        • 1. Re: Multiuser server and Unicode
          Level 7
          The MUS was last updated in version 8.5, seven years and 3 version ago I
          think. It's all but dead...

          Ziggi wrote:
          > Hi All - has MUS been updated to be Unicode compatible?
          >
          > Rgs,
          > Ziggi
          • 2. Re: Multiuser server and Unicode
            Level 7
            I believe the MUS xtra may have been updated to support unicode though
            • 3. Re: Multiuser server and Unicode
              Level 7
              Hey Ziggi,
              it's been a while.

              Short answer:
              no.

              Long answer:
              Dir 11 uses utf-8. Therefore, the strings that it uses (and sends) can be
              read by previous director versions, or mus. If you are performing no
              serverside string operations (like accessing characters or words), or if you
              are using only ascii characters, then you'll be having no problem with
              clients created with the new version. If you do have to process
              multilanguage strings, then you'll have to use a dir11 admin movie.

              "Ziggi" <ziggi@z_i_g_g_i.pl> wrote in message
              news:fu23t5$6e0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hi All - has MUS been updated to be Unicode compatible?
              >
              > Rgs,
              > Ziggi


              • 4. Re: Multiuser server and Unicode
                Level 7
                alchemist wrote:

                > Hey Ziggi,

                > If you do have to process
                > multilanguage strings, then you'll have to use a dir11 admin movie.

                Hi Alchemist !

                Thank you for your prompt answer - for the time being I even cannot
                answer will I need server side text processing as details of the project
                are not yet fully clear, so it was kind of "a question in advance" :-)

                Anyway - I know you are the expert in multiuser applications - what I
                have never fully understood is using admin movies... Would you be so
                kind to explain it in simple words? Once upon a time I had to complete
                multiuser order and I wrote full-fledged MUS application using MUS-lingo
                (MUS scripting). But I have never caught the idea of server-side
                Director movies. Can you perhaps briefly give me a clue what is all
                about? Would be very helpful! Some example perhaps?

                Regard,
                Ziggi

                • 5. Re: Multiuser server and Unicode
                  Level 7
                  An admin movie, or serverside movie, is a movie that is connected to the
                  server 24/7, and is used for serverside processing. Meaning that all the
                  server has to do is to forward (without processing) all messages to the
                  admin movie. In the admin movie, the messages are being processed (lingo),
                  and then sent (via the server) back to the clients.
                  In short, director client movies exchange data with the director admin
                  movie - the mus does nothing more than forwarding the messages.
                  If, for example the muXtra could handle more than 16 connections, then you'd
                  be needing no mus - a director movie would be the server. And since, btw, I
                  am close to completing such an Xtra, drop me a mail soon as you start
                  working on this.


                  "Ziggi" <ziggi@z_i_g_g_i.pl> wrote in message
                  news:fu3d65$k10$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > alchemist wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hey Ziggi,
                  >
                  >> If you do have to process multilanguage strings, then you'll have to use
                  >> a dir11 admin movie.
                  >
                  > Hi Alchemist !
                  >
                  > Thank you for your prompt answer - for the time being I even cannot answer
                  > will I need server side text processing as details of the project are not
                  > yet fully clear, so it was kind of "a question in advance" :-)
                  >
                  > Anyway - I know you are the expert in multiuser applications - what I have
                  > never fully understood is using admin movies... Would you be so kind to
                  > explain it in simple words? Once upon a time I had to complete multiuser
                  > order and I wrote full-fledged MUS application using MUS-lingo (MUS
                  > scripting). But I have never caught the idea of server-side Director
                  > movies. Can you perhaps briefly give me a clue what is all about? Would be
                  > very helpful! Some example perhaps?
                  >
                  > Regard,
                  > Ziggi
                  >


                  • 6. Re: Multiuser server and Unicode
                    Level 7

                    Thanks, Alchemist for this brief info - I understand then you mean
                    serverside movie connected 24/7 to MUS? And really - this can be
                    performing enough to handle several dozens of simultaneous connections?
                    I amd very surprised! How a single director movie can process multiple
                    simultaneous datastreams forwared from and to MUS? May you comment on
                    that, please?

                    And thank you for your new "mu" Xtra - of course I am very interested!

                    Regards,
                    Ziggi

                    alchemist wrote:
                    > An admin movie, or serverside movie, is a movie that is connected to the
                    > server 24/7, and is used for serverside processing. Meaning that all the
                    > server has to do is to forward (without processing) all messages to the
                    > admin movie. In the admin movie, the messages are being processed (lingo),
                    > and then sent (via the server) back to the clients.
                    > In short, director client movies exchange data with the director admin
                    > movie - the mus does nothing more than forwarding the messages.
                    > If, for example the muXtra could handle more than 16 connections, then you'd
                    > be needing no mus - a director movie would be the server. And since, btw, I
                    > am close to completing such an Xtra, drop me a mail soon as you start
                    > working on this.
                    • 7. Re: Multiuser server and Unicode
                      Level 7
                      > this can be
                      > performing enough to handle several dozens of simultaneous connections?
                      > I amd very surprised!
                      Don't underestimate director. Though lingo, as a scripting language, may not
                      be the fastest thing on the planet, director and it's Xtras are c++ compiled
                      code. So, long as the Xtra is proprly designed, Director, can handle in the
                      background anything an enterprise server can.
                      Keep in mind that handling a socket's i/o is often ligher than printing a
                      word on the screen - much less for the cpu to do.
                      Btw, MUS is slower than director - it's lingo engine comes from dir8, I
                      believe, and in dir 8.5 several speed improvements were introduced.
                      Now, for the admin movie in particular, you have just one socket connected,
                      so, just one data stream.

                      > And thank you for your new "mu" Xtra - of course I am very interested!
                      It's not an mu Xtra. It is, amongst many other things, a socket Xtra. You
                      can create any kind of tcp/udp/raw server you wish with it. And, since the
                      Xtra also supports the mu protocol, one of them can be an mu server.
                      > ...to handle several dozens of simultaneous connections?
                      and we are talking about thousands or even tens of thousands connections.

                      you can have a look at:
                      http://xtrema.rtr.gr/beta/xHttpServer.rar
                      http://xtrema.rtr.gr/beta/xProxy.zip
                      to get an idea.



                      "Ziggi" <ziggi@z_i_g_g_i.pl> wrote in message
                      news:fu8v7n$oui$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >
                      > Thanks, Alchemist for this brief info - I understand then you mean
                      > serverside movie connected 24/7 to MUS? And really - this can be
                      > performing enough to handle several dozens of simultaneous connections?
                      > I amd very surprised! How a single director movie can process multiple
                      > simultaneous datastreams forwared from and to MUS? May you comment on
                      > that, please?
                      >
                      > And thank you for your new "mu" Xtra - of course I am very interested!
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Ziggi
                      >
                      > alchemist wrote:
                      >> An admin movie, or serverside movie, is a movie that is connected to the
                      >> server 24/7, and is used for serverside processing. Meaning that all the
                      >> server has to do is to forward (without processing) all messages to the
                      >> admin movie. In the admin movie, the messages are being processed
                      >> (lingo), and then sent (via the server) back to the clients.
                      >> In short, director client movies exchange data with the director admin
                      >> movie - the mus does nothing more than forwarding the messages.
                      >> If, for example the muXtra could handle more than 16 connections, then
                      >> you'd be needing no mus - a director movie would be the server. And
                      >> since, btw, I am close to completing such an Xtra, drop me a mail soon as
                      >> you start working on this.




                      • 8. Re: Multiuser server and Unicode
                        Level 7

                        > and we are talking about thousands or even tens of thousands connections.

                        Chapeau bas !!!

                        Best regards,
                        Ziggi