9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2012 10:43 AM by Paul R Stark

Missing page numbers

Paul R Stark Level 1

I have several spreads from a template that have missing page numbers. I think this occured when I duplicated the spreads and modified them. Subsequent pages are accuately numbered sequentially, thus recognizing the pages with the missing numbers. I tried applying the master, but that didn't work.

Stumped!

Thx.

Paul

• 1. Re: Missing page numbers
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do you have some content on the pages which might be in front of the numbers?

• 2. Re: Missing page numbers
            Paul R Stark Level 1

No, I tried both arranging all content to back and even deleting the content, but no cigar.

• 3. Re: Missing page numbers

I think we need screen shots of the master and document pages in the area where the number should be.

Sending document page content to the back does not put it behind master page objects, however.

• 4. Re: Missing page numbers
                Paul R Stark Level 1

Master

Master.JPG

Document

Document.JPG

Notice "Workbook" at top is also missing. It's like there's no master being applied.

Thx.

• 5. Re: Missing page numbers
                  winterm Level 4

I believe you'll get a lot more "cigars" and less headache if you come into a habit to keep your master page items on separate dedicated layer, above your other stuff...

• 6. Re: Missing page numbers
                    Paul R Stark Level 1

You mean like this?

Layer.JPG

• 7. Re: Missing page numbers

Open the LAYERS panel and add a new layer. Go to the master page and select the header and footer objects, then in the Layers panel find the little colored square on the right side of layer 1, click it and drag to layer 2.  Your objects wil now be on layer 2. Lock the layer so you don't use it for other background objects.

• 8. Re: Missing page numbers
                        Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

As Peter wrote, create a new layer and put all objects from Master which have to be on top of content on the page on the most upper layer. Because elements from master are always covered from objects on the same layer on the pages. Contrary to other programs you are able to work with layers on the master.

But I see 2 more problems with your file:

1. Give the master a more specific name than the generic name. If you will copy pages from one document to another you will have a number of different masters with the same generic name which will confuse you and every other user of that document.
                        2. In InDesign you are able to build a master on another master. You wrote that you doubled the master to create another one. It might be easier for future edition to create a master based on another master. Master can have "children", "grandchildren" and so on and you can apply these children master to any page in the document. This will help to pass changes on the father of all masters through to all other masters and their pages.

I think you are new to InDesign, so I would recommend to work always with layers and learn to name them in the same way in the same order. It makes it easier to copy objects from one document to another. (When remember layers is activated in the layer panel.)

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Missing page numbers
                          Paul R Stark Level 1

Okay. Creating a new layer and putting it on top and pasting the Master header and footer worked.

Thanks for the help Peter and Willi.

Paul