1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 4, 2012 8:36 PM by Jon Chappell

Audible Click Between Audio Clips

Dradis_Contact

Running PP 5.5. Editing an AVCHD project with seperately-recorded WAV audio files. Dropping the various audio clips of the various scenes into the timeline and I keep getting clicks between the audio clips upon playback and export. There are no empty frames between the clips, nor any overlapping clips. Even looping a single audio clip in Audition results in a click at the beginning of each clip. In either PP or Audition the clicks are only audible when playing normal speed. Scrub through the timeline with the arrow keys and the clicks are not present.

Ramping up/down the gain at the head/tail of the files still results in clicks between the clips. Doesn't matter if the clips are in the same track. It seems to be a file access issue and not an actual audio track sound, except that when I export the movie the clicks become part of the audio track of the exported movie. Except for these audio clicks everything is working perfectly.

I just upgraded from PP CS4. Opening up a copy of this project in PP CS4 and I have no audio clicks.

I'm stumped...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I have a very fast computer:

i7 - 980x

24GB RAM

Dual SSD HDD's in raid 0 for OS

Quad 2TB 7200RPM HDD's in raid 0 for files

Dual GTX 460 Fermi Video Cards

PP 5.5 (5.2) Legit

W7P x64

• 1. Re: Audible Click Between Audio Clips
          Jon Chappell Level 3

Audio is encoded in samples per second (e.g. 48000) and video is played back in frames per second (e.g. 24). There are significantly more audio samples than there are individual video frames and Premiere cuts to the nearest video frame, so there may be instances where the cut point occurs in the middle of a very short sound that you would have barely noticed in the full-length recording.

This is a problem I have experienced in all NLEs; it is not just limited to Premiere. The easiest way of solving it is to add a short cross-fade at the beginning of the audio clip.