2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2012 5:13 PM by bradfield9

My first go at After Effects

bradfield9

I am about to embark into using After Effects 5, hence I am a real newby with this software.

After looking at a few ready-made templates my question is:...Am I obliged to resize any

of my images and/or video clips for insertion into these templates or is the process fully

automated, or will I find I will need to do both depending on the template.

Also can anyone advise what resolution/size should my images be for viewing in a 1920x

1080p finished video.

Thanks for any guidance.

• 1. Re: My first go at After Effects
          bogiesan Level 4

Maybe all of the above. There are some things about AE that happen automatically, if you elect to allow them.

> Also can anyone advise what resolution/size should my images be for viewing in a 1920x

1080p finished video.<

ONe thing you must understand about video is there are only pixels. Resolution is defined as the pxel density. Lines, dots or pixels per inch are meaningless. If you bring in an image that is larger than your comp size, it might be scaled down or not. If you bring in am image that is smaller than the comp size, the pixels can be caled up but the resolution will not change; the pixels only get larger.

Learnign AE is a difficult and a long process that, at the very beginning, requires rethinking what you think you know about lots of stuff, especially if your only experience is with PHotoshop and Illustrator or evn Flash.

Welcome to the family. Learn to use the Help system, spend a few days workign throug the tutorials you ahve been provided and follwing the thousands of links to good and bad youtube and vimeo AE tutorials. In a few weeks you will be able to tell the difference.

• 2. Re: My first go at After Effects
            bradfield9 Level 1

Hello, and thanks for the comments, yes I can see the learning AE is a long road, I will follow your suggestions

and try to pick out the more sensible tutorials to view on youtube/vimeo etc.

My aim is only to make personal use of templates that appeal to me, at 72 I doubt I have the capacity to learn

how to make templates, only to modify them for my own use.

Thanks again.