4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2012 12:25 AM by B4stien

Crash reporting

B4stien

Hi everyone,

Is there a special way of sending crash reports from an extension? What I want is that each time a crash occurs on our users machine I receive a notification with a stack trace.

Here are my questions:

- Is there a library for this (something that would intercept all the extension crashes) and maybe let me define a url where to send the stack trace to?

- How to show a stack trace in ActionScript?

- How to intercept all exceptions extension wide?

Best regards.

-- Bastien

• 1. Re: Crash reporting
          John Hawkinson Level 5

I am not aware of anyone who has done this.

What is your extension written in (C++, AS3, JavaScript, CSSDK, Extension Builder, AppleScript, hybrid?), and are you concerned with crashes of InDesign, or cases where your script abnormally terminates but InDesign keeps running fine?

I assume you can catch any exceptions in AS3 with try/catch. But my AS3 knowledge is very basic, so perhaps there is more to it than that?

Do you have to support both Windows and Macintosh?

• 2. Re: Crash reporting
            B4stien Level 1

Hi John,

My extension is in ActionScript and I'm using Extension Builder, we're supporting both Mac and Windows. What I'm interested about is cases where my script terminates.

Try/Catch is probably the way to go, but I'm more wondering where to put it, what I mean is that I'd rather not put it all over the place, but have one "global" try/catch that would intercept any exception happening within the extension. Now that might not be possible since the code execution in ActionScript is asynchronous, but I was wondering if there where any mechanism that would allow it.

What I had in mind is something similar to Testflight (https://testflightapp.com) but for adobe extensions instead of iPhone apps.

• 3. Re: Crash reporting
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Bastien:

I am definitely not a good person to be answering AS3 questions. You are probably much better off asking in the CS SDK Forum, http://forums.adobe.com/community/creativesuites/cs_sdk.

I think use of try/catch really depends on how you have structured your code.

At first I thought you were asking about the InDesign process crashing.

Good luck.

• 4. Re: Crash reporting
                B4stien Level 1

Thanks for your help John, I'll take it to that forum.