12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2012 1:55 PM by ahmed hussam

Converting Photoshop to PDF

JCTLI

I have a milti picture file on photoshop that is too big to copy to a single cd.  Is there a way that I can convert this to a pdf slideshow that will fit?

• 1. Re: Converting Photoshop to PDF
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

What version of Photoshop?

With CS5 PDF Presentation is not an option.

Is each layer a complete »image« or are there Groups, Adjustment Layers etc.?

• 2. Re: Converting Photoshop to PDF
            JCTLI Level 1

It is CS5.  Basically what I have is multiple pictures with text, lines and arrows labeling different parts of the pictures for layers.  

• 3. Re: Converting Photoshop to PDF
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

How are they structured – with Groups or Layer Comps?

• 4. Re: Converting Photoshop to PDF
                JCTLI Level 1

Yes they are structured with layers.

• 5. Re: Converting Photoshop to PDF
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Basically I’m afraid you chose a bad tool for the task, Photoshop is simply not ideally fitted for creating multi-page-content on its own.

Yes they are structured with layers.

What is that supposed to mean? Is each of the individual pictures you want to get out one layer or not?

Could you please post a screenshot with the Layers Panel visible?

• 6. Re: Converting Photoshop to PDF
                    Level 5

JCTLI wrote:

I have a milti picture file on photoshop that is too big to copy to a single cd.  Is there a way that I can convert this to a pdf slideshow that will fit?

PDF is not inherently smaller than other file formats. PDF is a container format than can hold a variety of image formats and levels of compression.

If you fully explain why the images need to be transported on CD, you might receive ideas on the best transport method. Is it permissible to resize the images? Is it permissible to compress the images?

• 7. Re: Converting Photoshop to PDF
                      JCTLI Level 1

We build pipelines and excavation work in the oil and gas industry.  We like to take pictures of our projects for future reference before we cover the pipelines up with dirt.  We then upload the pictures to photoshop and label the pipes so we know which pipe is going where and has what in it ect.  We then load these images on a cd and give to our customers so they can reference them if they need to dig the lines up in the future.  Each image is its own file and each picture has multiple layers making up the text and lines that we use for labeling the pictures. Basically there is no problem compressing or resizing them all we really care about is that our custumer can put the cd in their computer and open up the pictures and look at them.  

• 8. Re: Converting Photoshop to PDF
                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Ah, I seem to have misunderstood, I though more than one of the intended images were situated in one container-psd.

I think you should check out Bridge’s Output Module.

Edit: If you want the type-layers I assume you use to label the elements to remain searchable text in the pdf you might have to save individual pdfs of the files which coud later be combined into one pdf with Acrobat for example.

• 9. Re: Converting Photoshop to PDF
                          RenéG Level 3

JCTLI wrote:

I have a milti picture file on photoshop that is too big to copy to a single cd.

Burn them onto a DVD then.

For the use that you talk about in the above post, I have difficulty to understand that each picture won't fit on a CD.

A CD can contain between 600 and 700 MB. That's a huge Photoshop file.

• 10. Re: Converting Photoshop to PDF
                            JCTLI Level 1

Sorry, I should have clarified.  I want to burn all of the pictures from one project to one or a few cds.  Some of these contain up to 100 pictures.  In the past they were all converted to a pdf and that seemed to work.  I am new to the company and I cant figure out how to do that. 

• 11. Re: Converting Photoshop to PDF
                              Noel Carboni Level 8

Do you understand that if you have a PSD that WON'T fit on a CD because of its size, and you want to make a PDF that WILL fit on a CD, then you'll be losing something in the translation?  If this was done in the past chances are it was accomplished because the images were compressed using lossy JPEG compression in the PDF, by someone who didn't understand that quality loss was occurring.

Keep in mind that if you're doing lossy compression, you ARE losing quality.  This may not be what is wanted by whomever it is asking you archive this stuff.

Be sure and understand what you're requirements are, and ask whether lossy compression would be acceptable.  It's going to be better to deal with this now, instead of a year from now when you cannot reconstitute the original data quality.

If what's wanted is really perfect data archival, you might want to consider alternate forms of archival - such as a DVD-R or even Blu-Ray DVD.  These all have bigger capacity than a CD-R.

Edit:  I've just read the rest of the thread.  It appears you have covered this issue already.  Sorry; I should have read through it first.

-Noel

• 12. Re: Converting Photoshop to PDF
                                ahmed hussam

If you don't mind losing the layer/group structure on the CD version fo your file then try saving as EPS and in the encoding options use JPEG (adjust quality to your needs), usually you will get a good size reduction without losing noticable quality