1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 6, 2012 9:50 AM by Carl Rambert RSS

Basic XMP Meta-data builder

jaseinatl@gmail.com Community Member

Hey all,

I am not a programmer and though I have been using Adobe Photoshop since 1988, I have never really gotten into the meta-data side of things until this latest project.

I remember once that I used Photoshop's XMP metadata features to create a simple template in which I could enter custom meta-data about my image. It was perfect for what I am doing now.

But now, in CS5, I have started to question whether I have just gotten too old (at 42) to handle this or whether it has been so bloated out of proportion in complexity that I just don't have the patience to figure it out.

I need to record some basic information about some paintings that I have taken photos of and I have the information in a sql database, but it would be nicer to embed the information in the image.

If I could embed this information in my images, it would be great:

• Painting Data: (information about the material photographed not the photograph)
        • naming
          • title (formal)
          • title (informal)
          • subtitle
          • version
        • series
          • title
          • name
          • number
        • materials
          • descr
          • colors
          • background
        • dimensions
          • width
          • height
          • hw ratio
          • orientation
        • date
      • Image Data   (refers to information about the actual file and how it is used)
        • filename
        • filepath
        • sizing type
        • source file name
        • source file path
        • source pixel ratio
        • width pixels
        • height pixels
        • ppi
        • uses
      • Copyright info

But I was hoping to do this without having to learn C++, install Eclipse or piece together bits and pieces from other XMP profiles. Is there any possible way to convert a simple data set like this into xmp metadata?

It seems like there should be a web-app that does it.

Anyways, I'm looking at other sources now, but I would love to know if Adobe is equipped to handle this sort of thing or should I look elsewhere. Thanks as always for your support and/or input.