15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2012 5:44 PM by RobertSE6

PE7 - Can't add clips

RobertSE6

Hello

Hoping someone can help a novice please!

I created a project with settings as ' PAL-AVCHD-FullHD 1080i 25 5.1 Channel' as I read on here that would solve the problem I had previously had of not being able to add clips to the timeline or sceneline.

I've now successfully added clips imported from a Sony TG3 HD video camera (with a filename extension .mts) but now there are two problems

Firstly, when I open the project a dialogue asks me 'where is file business title_7.tga' - I can't see any such file anywhere on my PC

THere is an option to 'skip' which allows me to open the project.

Is this going to cause problems with that file being 'missing' - the programme does seem to randomly crash - and if so how do I locate/replace the file?

This issue may be related to the second problem or not - what I am now trying to do is add some stills and video clips I got from someone else and which have file extensions of .jpg and .mpg respectively.

I can't get them to add to the timeline or sceneline - sometimes the first one works but no more after that.

This is exactly the problem I was having originally before I corrected the project settings - are the .mts and .mpg files not compatible with each other or something?

I am using Win 7 64 bit

Any suggestions please?

Regards

Robert

• 1. Re: PE7 - Can't add clips
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say which version of the program you're using, but ideally you should be running the 64-bit version of version 10.

The HDR-TG3 is a multi-format camcorder. In order to edit your video in Premiere Elements, you should be shooting in FH mode, 1920x1080.

Assuming this is what you did, did you attach your camcorder to your computer and use the Video Importer tool, launched by Premiere Elements' Get Media/From Flip AVCHD and Hard Disk Camera, to import the video from the camcorder to your computer? This will also import the video into your project.

If your project specs and video are matched, you should see NO red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline. Is that the case in your project?

Finally, AVCHD is a very intensive format to edit. Do you have at least a quad core or i7 processor and 4-6 gigs of RAM?

• 2. Re: PE7 - Can't add clips
            RobertSE6 Level 1

Hi Steve - sorry I wasn't clear

Its Premiere Elements 7 I am using. I have an i7 965 processor and 6Gb of Ram

For some reason it looks like I was using HD SP - Thought I had it set to HD-FH.

I did try to import the video as you describe but couldn't get software to recognise the camera so I think I manually copied the files to my PC and then used 'get media' in PE7 to import from the folder.

There are no red lines about the clips I've added (although there is a red line above Video 2 - where I did have one clip but later removed it)

But the problem I have is with adding clips to the timeline which I didn't shoot - the TG3 clips worked fine once I had corrected the settings when I created the project.

All I can tell about these other clips is they are in mpeg format.

When I try to drag them on to the timeline or sceneline the first one works but any subsequent ones don't appear in either timeline or sceneline but the 'ruler' underneath the monitor window 'shuffles' up as if a clip is being added but you can't see the clip. I hope that makes sense!

Have you any ideas about how to overcome this or about the missing file please - is it important? I think its a texture file?

Regards

Robert

• 3. Re: PE7 - Can't add clips

What model of camcorder did these MPEGs come from?

Can you open them in G Spot or MediaInfo and post a screen capture of its spec report? I'm most interested in its resolution, frame rate and codec.

• 4. Re: PE7 - Can't add clips
                RobertSE6 Level 1

I don't know what Camcorder was used Steve

This is what I got in MediaInfo - hope this is correct - I've not used this software before

Video1.jpg

• 5. Re: PE7 - Can't add clips

This is standard definition PAL widescreen video. This should work if you selected the project settings for PAL/Hard Disk Camcorder/Standard Definition/Widescreen.

Are those the settings you selected?

• 6. Re: PE7 - Can't add clips
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

It appears that at some point, you Imported a file, Title_07.TGA, into the Project. That file was linked in the PREL (Project) file, to the location, where it was, at the time of Import. Now, for some reason, PrE cannot find that file in the original location. It has been Moved, Deleted or Renamed. Do you remember Importing that TGA (Targa) file?

It will not have to have been used in the Timeline, but if in the Project, will require manual linking, to be used. Do you see that file in the Project Panel (Media)?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE7 - Can't add clips
                      RobertSE6 Level 1

Thanks Steve

As above the settings I used when I created the project were

PAL-AVCHD-FullHD 1080i 25 5.1 Channel

Does that mean I can't now include the mpeg clips unless I create a new project?

Regards

Robert

• 8. Re: PE7 - Can't add clips
                        RobertSE6 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Bill - its a mystery as I don't recall importing or using any such file - just stills and movie clips. Its not in the project panel.

But it sounds from what you're saying that its fine to skip that dialogue when I'm opening the project without causing any problems.

Regards

Robert

• 9. Re: PE7 - Can't add clips
                          nealeh Level 5

That is standard SD Widescreen Stereo PAL and will not edit easily in your HD 5.1 sound project.

You should use it in a PAL> DV> Widescreen 48kHz project. Depending on your final target output you can either Share this to a file (when completed) to incorporate in your HD project or Share your HD project (when completed) to DV-AVI and include it in your SD project.

1.png

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: PE7 - Can't add clips
                            RobertSE6 Level 1

THanks Neale that's very helpful

Last question (I think!) - If I put the mpeg files in a separate project with the correct settings as you set out - when I then create a file from that project, what format should it be in so that I can add it to the HD project?

Should it be DV AVI with DV PAL Widescreen as the preset?

Regards

Robert

• 11. Re: PE7 - Can't add clips
                              RobertSE6 Level 1

Well I tried it and it doesn't work - I can't add the .avi files created as above to my HD project. The first clip I drag into the 'add next clip here' box appears in the sceneline/timeline but can't be moved. Any further clips that are dragged in, appear in the monitor window but not in the sceneline/timeline.

What am I doing wrong please?

Regards

Robert

• 12. Re: PE7 - Can't add clips
                                nealeh Level 5

You should be dragging your clips to the Project Media window. From there you drag them to your Sceneline or Timeline.

I've tested this with the Full HD 5:1 project setting you used and have dragged a DV-AVI file, a WMV file, and an MP4 file. They all show red lines (obviously - they don't match the setting) when added to the timeline, but they can all be moved around and manipulated. I'm using PRE10.

It seems therefore that it may be a PRE7 issue or there is something else going on with your machine. You should work through PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 13. Re: PE7 - Can't add clips
                                  RobertSE6 Level 1

Yes that's what I'm doing Neale.

I'll try the link you suggested

I found a thread about this issue but it related to trying to add HD clips to a project created without the proper HD settings. Perhaps the reverse is true - ie. you can't add SD clips to a project created with HD settings.

Thanks again

Robert

• 14. Re: PE7 - Can't add clips
                                    nealeh Level 5

RobertSE6 wrote:

Perhaps the reverse is true - ie. you can't add SD clips to a project created with HD settings.

Which is what makes me wonder if it's a PRE7 thing - because in PRE10 that is exactly what I did, add SD and other non-HD formats, to an HD  project and it works fine.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 15. Re: PE7 - Can't add clips
                                      RobertSE6 Level 1

Thanks Neale - I think I'll have to admit defeat on this one.

Thanks for your help

Robert