• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you dis-allow ability to copy from chm file to make changes in Word?

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a proprietary manual created with RoboHelp HTML.  Our chm file is on a shared drive with limited access.  Recently, someone who does not have access to the working file came to us letting us know that he made changes to a topic, and the document was ready for distribution.  We do not want this to happen.  Is there a way to stop users from copying the information into another program such as Word?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

Whilst it probably does not affect this question, please see the Sticky Topic Before You Post and always start threads with the version of RoboHelp being used.

I seem to be missing something here. A person who does not have access to the working file (I assume you mean the CHM) has made changes to it. How if they did not have access? Even if they did have access to the CHM, they would not be able to edit it without tools such as RoboHelp or the Microsoft Help Workshop.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if OldBattyOwl may not be quite as batty as you may think Maybe they could confirm this but I believe they maybe talking about someone copying and pasting content from a CHM into something else like Word. If so, I believe it is possible to suppress the right click menu items available in the topic pane of a CHM. However the solution is JavaScriot and I am not in a position to help with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't suggesting anyone was batty. The post says the CHM is on a shared drive with limited access and that it was accessed by someone who doesn't have access. Egh?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I believe Colum is correct in that the solution will lie in JavaScript to suppress the Right-Click. But personally, I think the issue will be quite deeper than that. For example, you would also need to script a way to suppress the selection of text as well. Suppress Ctrl+C and Shift+C to copy. Things like that.

Keep in mind too that if someone really wants the information that bad, there is nothinig whatsoever stopping them from opening Word, Wordpad or Notepad and just typing the information in. Basically, if they see it and they want it bad enough, they WILL find a way to obtain it.

Just musing out loud... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you weren't Peter. I was just amused by their logon. To add to Rick's post, I believe that as CHMs use MS Internet Explorer under the hood that the browser's Internet History can also be used to access recently viewed content. Basically CHMs are not secure hence the numerous Microsoft security updates that affect them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Rick. Nonetheless, the following script makes text selection (almost) impossible in IE (I assume in CHM too) and FF: http://javascriptsource.com/page-details/disable-text-selection.html

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again all

Willam, nice job pointing that script out. Although I have to admit that I was very amused after pressing Ctrl+A and watching the words "this text can't be selected" become selected where I could copy it.

Colum, you are partially correct in that CHM files use "Elements" of Microsoft Internet Explorer as their display mechanism. Just be aware that a CHM isn't simply a wrapper that sits atop IE. It's a bit more involved than that.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL, Guess you would need the following scripts too:

That's a lot of artillery though. You may still be able to print to PDF and select from there

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp