Can you uninstall Extension Manager successfully? Was it still in file system after the uninstallation? Can you reboot your Mac and try again?
You can also check installation log files of Extension Manager in /Library/Logs/Adobe/Installers. Try to find any clue for the issue, or paste the content here.
If all of these still do not help, you may need to do more:
1. Back up all files stored in Adobe product directories. This may include custom plug-ins or profiles you have installed.
2. Uninstall all Adobe Create Suite products.
3. Download Adobe Creative Suite Cleaner Tool from http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html, and following steps in the page to clean your system.
4. Reinstall all Adobe Creative Suite products.
5. Update Extension Manager with http://download.macromedia.com/pub/dw_exchange/extension_manager/mac/A dobeExtensionManager_5_0_2_mul_AdobeUpdate.dmg
How does one know if one has uninstalled Extension Manager successfully? I dropped its folder in the trash & emptied that trash, is that good enough? I don't know if it's still in the file system because I don't know where to find it & it's parts.
After restarting my MacBookPro, the AdobePatchInstaller.app still won't work when I double-click it.
Before I uninstall all my CS5, can you let me know how one manually installs the update?
Before you uninstall CS5, you can try:
1. Move "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/caps/caps.db" and "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PCD/*.*" to somewhere else, and reinstall the dmg again.
2. If it still does not work, move files above back.
3. Paste the installation log( should be "Adobe Extension Manager....log.gz" in /Library/Logs/Adobe/Installer/ ) here.