1 22 23 24 25 26 Previous Next 1,716 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2012 11:37 AM by Victoria Bampton LR Queen Go to original post
      • 920. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
        rpavich1234 Level 1

Have you tried taking aspirin with your 4.1? 

Lol...yes..I really did.

Minute that the beta was available I downloaded it and used it...I've WANTED it to succeed!...I WANT to use it and have it be just as responsive as LR3.6.

I've tried over and over again; I've done all of the workarounds with high hopes...

I'm not bad-mouthing it because I have some grudge against Adobe...on the contrary...I recommend LR to everyone I know because it's such a great piece of software...however when I do...I make sure that they understand that I'M having problems and they MAY too.

I know that the dev cycle isn't over...there are more bugs to be squashed...I have high hopes that whatever it is bugging me will get squashed.

• 921. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
          Victoria Bampton LR Queen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A C G wrote:

A useful list. Someone should make it a sticky.

I'm working on gathering all of the info I can find to drop into a blog post, so if anyone else has any suggestions to add, please do let me know!

• 922. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
            bob frost Level 3

A few more tips:-

In Library and Develop, turn off the Navigator panel and Filmstrip if you are not using them. They all have to be updated and use valuable resources. If you don't use the Histogram, turn that off as well.

Don't put resource-intensive stuff like Lens Corrections in a preset. Leave it till later in your Develop process.

Similarly with spotting; leave that until near the end, and if you have loads of spotting to do, do it in Photoshop instead of LR, after you have finished Developing in LR. There are limits to what parametric editing can do easily. Of course, if you have a big fast machine, it may be able to cope with all that recalculation easily, but smaller or older machines may struggle with loads of edits.

Make sure any presets you use have been updated for LR4. Don't use old LR3 presets unless you are using 2010 process.

Bob Frost

• 923. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
              andreas603

would love to get back on topic considering I'm one of xxx still having a problem.... work arounds...does anyone have the time and energy to try to sumarize a best practice for maximizing speed... This thread only contains one that I can see:

-leave clarity, lens and spot alone...

what else?

• 924. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                areohbee Level 6

My .02 condensed from previous posts:

Buy new hard disk (and cheap graphics card, if your motherboard doesn't have graphics), remove old hard disk, disconnect all non-essential hardware,  format hard disk, install minimal OS & Lightroom, cease all non-essential software services. Delete all plugins & presets. Import one photo into new catalog. So far so good?, try another photo... - the purpose of this exercise is to determine whether motherboard and hardware drivers are at the root of the problem. If it don't work well after this, it probably ain't gonna work no matter what else you do. If this is the case, report offending hardware/software config to Adobe, and either buy a new motherboard, or wait for Adobe to fix Lightroom. If it does work well, you can start adding stuff back in, and maybe discover the culprit. Once you know the culprit, you may be able to go back to your old hard disk, and most of your other hardware and software services, or take the opportunity to rebuild a clean system.

• 925. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bob, you left off File > Optimize Catalog

• 926. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                    andreas603 Level 1

thanks for the complete waste of space rob.  I'm as pissed off as the next person but my question was real but your answer simply snide.  Looks to me all you're trying to do is get up to 5000 posts as quickly as possible.

• 927. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                      areohbee Level 6

andreas603 wrote:

what else?

Only this: Most abnormal performance problems are due to bugs in Lightroom, or system anomalies which Lightroom gets tripped up on.

Clarity, lens corrections, spots... - make very little difference in performance, for me. More ram, SSD, ... - not that much difference either.

Summary: the biggest performance factor is whether or not abnormal phenomena are occuring.

Rob

• 928. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                        areohbee Level 6

andreas603 wrote:

... your answer simply snide.

I have no idea what you are talking about - honestly .

If you are talking about my reply above to Victoria (not you), that was in earnest. That is exactly what I would do (strip system) and recommend others do, who are having problems they can not solve doing the things others like Bob Frost have suggested.

PS - I pay very little attention to my post count.

• 929. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                          andreas603 Level 1

thx bob..you posted 2 min before I did and I didn't see this...good info

• 930. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                            areohbee Level 6

Most abnormal problems are due to:

1. hardware drivers.

2. software services.

3. wonky files.

Trying a new hard disk elminates *all* wonky files.

With an absolute minimal system configuration, you can rule out a ton of stuff: previews, prefs, cache, virus/anti-virus, backup services, wonky catalog, high-end graphics driver, wacom pads, external drives. *Everything* I just mentioned has been the main or sole cause of *some* people's problems with Lr4.

Snide? - No, and I don't appreciate you giving me a bad time for trying to help you. Being pissed off is no excuse for being rude!

Rob

• 931. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                              bob frost Level 3

Bob, you left off File > Optimize Catalog

I also left off - Check that any virus checker you use is not checking your

catalog and previews each time they are accessed. You can usually go into

the virus checker and tell it not to check the folder where your catalog and

previews are stored. Some virus checkers slow things down more than others.

Bob Frost

• 932. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                andreas603 Level 1

"Buy new hard disk (and cheap graphics card, if your motherboard doesn't have graphics), remove old hard disk, disconnect all non-essential hardware,  format hard disk, install minimal OS & Lightroom, cease all non-essential software services. Delete all plugins & presets. Import one photo into new catalog. So far so good?, try another photo..."

maybe its just me but that isn't scarcastic?  The OP simply asked for a summary of work arounds that have helped.  Perhaps I'm the only one that needs to clarify what I mean by 'work around'... Bob's post/response is a work around.  Your post was a rant

• 933. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                  areohbee Level 6

My post was what I would do if I were having the problems some people are reporting. If my suggestion doesn't suit you, then, well, I'm not sure how to finish that sentence - do something else I guess.

• 934. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow

Rob Cole wrote:

Buy new hard disk...

Er, yes, thanks Rob. While that's what I'd do on my own machine, I think I'd get slaughtered for suggesting it as a wholesale solution.

That said, hardware issues are certainly a percentage of the problems.  My business partner complained for ages, before discovering that one of his hard drives was failing.  I think there are multiple different causes going on here, which makes it much harder to narrow down.

• 935. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                      Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If any of you haven't read this, please do!

Thank you.

• 936. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                        Stephen_Carpenter

Victoria Bampton wrote:

That said, hardware issues are certainly a percentage of the problems.

No one has the stats to know what percentage is. Those that don't have problems are likely to believe it's 90% and those that do think it's much lower.

I also see the spot removal tool problem. What I see is high CPU utilization across all the cores of a Core i7:

2012-06-22_120253.png

On the screen I get pauses and stuttering with a black rectagle at the stop of the screen and sometimes in the middle:

DSC02636.jpg

This isn't a disk issue (max throughput was just 1.8MB/s during the spot removal) and it's not a video driver issue (I can reproduce it on AMD  & NVIDIA GPUs).

It also only happens on some images and only with process 2012. It's not the clarity issue (you can see it's set to 0) and there are no lens corrections applied. Luminance NR is set to 25, setting it to 0 and the problem goes away. The weird thing is if I set it back to 25 then there is also no problem and if I use undo to go back to NR=25 there is no problem but if I exit LR and start again the problem comes back.

• 937. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow

Stephen_Carpenter wrote:

Those that don't have problems are likely to believe it's 90% and those that do think it's much lower.

Stephen, I don't have performance problems, but I also wouldn't presume to say that the majority of issues are hardware.   I believe there are multiple issues and interactions involved.

Those are very interesting observations about the luminance NR.  There were some changes in NR preview (it was adaptive in LR3) - out of interest, does zooming in and out make any difference to that black area?

• 938. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                            Stephen_Carpenter Level 1

Victoria Bampton wrote:

Those are very interesting observations about the luminance NR.  There were some changes in NR preview (it was adaptive in LR3) - out of interest, does zooming in and out make any difference to that black area?

Going to 100% and back makes no difference.

• 939. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                              bob frost Level 3

maybe its just me but that isn't scarcastic?  The OP simply asked for a

summary of work arounds that have helped.  Perhaps I'm the only one that

needs to clarify what I mean by 'work around'... Bob's post/response is a

work around.  Your post was a rant

To be fair to Rob, I suggested the other day that someone who said they had

tried everything else should now backup their OS, install a clean OS, and

only install LR with a new catalog and just import a few files to see

whether the problems are still present.

I've done it myself in the past. The possible combinations of

software/hardware that don't play nice together are almost limitless. So if

a clean start solves the problem, then adding other stuff back in one by

one, may show where the problem lies. Adobe and the other firm can then get

together to sort it out.

Bob Frost

• 940. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                bob frost Level 3

Er, yes, thanks Rob. While that's what I'd do on my own machine, I think

I'd get slaughtered for suggesting it as a wholesale solution.

That said, hardware issues are certainly a percentage of the problems.  My

business partner complained for ages, before discovering that one of his

hard drives was failing.  I think there are multiple different causes

going on here, which makes it much harder to narrow down.

But it has to be said; I built myself a new computer last year, and LR kept

crashing. Eventually I realised that LR only crashed on this one new

machine, not on my laptop or old backup computer. It was a faulty power

supply that was causing the crashes, and those crashes often corrupt LR's

catalog and previews. I had to swap the power supply to find out what was

the problem.

Bob Frost

• 941. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                  bob frost Level 3

I also see the spot removal tool problem. What I see is high CPU

utilization across all the cores of a Core i7:

So you use a Wacom pen? Someone else found the Wacom driver was causing his

spot removal problems.

Bob Frost

• 942. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow

bob frost wrote:

So you use a Wacom pen? Someone else found the Wacom driver was causing his

spot removal problems.

No pen, no tablet, just a normal mouse. This is not a system issue (hardware, software or driver).

It seems to be triggered by certain combinations of settings and therefore way you go about editing your files is probably determining whether you see the problem or not.

• 943. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                      rpavich1234 Level 1

It seems to be triggered by certain combinations of settings and therefore way you go about editing your files is probably determining whether you see the problem or not.

And what makes me think it's not just a "get a bigger computer" issue is that some with low end PC's aren't having problems....some with mega-computers are reporting problems...and likewise some with mega-computers ARE reporting problems....etc...

There seems to be no pattern to it..

• 944. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                        bob frost Level 3

From: "Stephen_Carpenter

No pen, no tablet, just a normal mouse. This is not a system issue

(hardware, software or driver).

It's a brave man who says that!  I had a LR problem with my MS mouse. Using

the MS intellipoint mouse driver it often didn't scroll properly on panels.

Uninstalling that mouse driver and using the built-in Win7 driver cured the

problem.

Bob Frost

• 945. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow

bob frost wrote:

It's a brave man who says that! 

Troubleshooting complex computer problems is what I do for a living

I have the same problem on two different systems. Different CPUs, different chipsets, different GPUs, both external mouse & built-in trackpad (laptop). This is Windows 7 but other have reported identical symptoms on Macs. There are two many people with the same problem and different setups for it to be dismissed as a driver issue. There's one common denominator and that's LR.

These problems have been going on for some time. People are frustrated at the lack of engagement by Adobe. If they have reproduced this in-house and are working it then saying so would help. If they can't reproduce it then they are welcome to send me a version with a profile harness and I'll get them all the data they need.

• 946. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                            bob frost Level 3

Stephen_Carpenter wrote:

bob frost wrote:

It's a brave man who says that! 

Troubleshooting complex computer problems is what I do for a living

I have the same problem on two different systems. Different CPUs, different chipsets, different GPUs, both external mouse & built-in trackpad (laptop). This is Windows 7 but other have reported identical symptoms on Macs. There are two many people with the same problem and different setups for it to be dismissed as a driver issue. There's one common denominator and that's LR.

These problems have been going on for some time. People are frustrated at the lack of engagement by Adobe. If they have reproduced this in-house and are working it then saying so would help. If they can't reproduce it then they are welcome to send me a version with a profile harness and I'll get them all the data they need.

Ah, I only do it for the challenge and to keep the brain working in retirement. The problem is this is a User-to-User forum, and there is no guarantee that any of the Lightroom team will see these posts. Best to repost it on the main Adobe forum, where the team do watch things, and get engaged.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightro om

Victoria may pass your problem on to the team, but posting it on the main forum is your best bet of it being seen and cured.

Bob Frost

• 947. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                              Eaglerapids

I don't understand why people like Bob and Rob are even posting on this thread. You say your system is working fine, so why are you trying to help people whose systems aren't working fine? What in the world can you know of the problem? You guys are coming off as apologists for Adobe and you are not helping anybody. If it was a driver issue this thread would have died of natural causes months ago. It's not a harddrive problem. My goodness, it used to be that your kind of helpers told everybody to reformat your HDD and reinstall windows as the cure all, now you guys are telling everybody to build a new system for crying out loud when a lot of people who are having problems are running high end machines most people only dream about and then when you get called out you say post somewhere else. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but you guys are not helping, sorry.

• 948. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                                john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So what are you adding? Remember that this is a user-to-user forum, where users try to help other users. Read too why they are pointing to another forum - because it's one for feedback to Adobe.

• 949. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                                  SavagePhoto

SO I am testing Capture One and Aftershot both have features that I really like and missing some features that I have in LR that I reall want.  I am finding that since I have so many images on my plate and am slower in unfamiliar UI .... I am still doing most of my work in LR. Something to note..... The inconsistent results of my trouble shooting are from having various levels of edits on images not always from changes I have made .... There is evidence to show that updating Wacom drivers, Setting affinity, running as admin, have all helped but only a minor degree when comparied to the number of edits on an image. As it turns out in a newly created administrator user, small catalog, unedited images, Lightrooms performance is acceptable. I can drop performace instantly by adding - Noise Reduction - Lens Correction - or by stacking other edits such as clarity, tone curves, exposure, sharpening....  I have gone back and fourth with Adobe techs and am finally waiting for a callback from a second level tech.

If you are interested in taking your issues to Adobe do these steps first and it will knock down most if not all of their preliminary steps

These steps are assuming you already have a beefy system, clean defragmented drives and the host of of other suggestions for optimising performce suggested by Adobe http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

1.If this is not a clean install of LR remove it

2.Make new user (admin account)

3.do a CLEAN reboot (msconfig)

4.If you removed LR reinstall from this new admin account while on a clean boot

5.Make Small catalog (I made one with 3 photos in it)

6.Test and call Adobe If you still have problems

I highly recomend REALLY doing these steps before you call. It is very possible that these steps will resolve your issues.

• 950. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                                    rpavich1234 Level 1

I highly recomend REALLY doing these steps before you call. It is very possible that these steps will resolve your issues.

You know what bugs me about a list like this?

Reinstalling I can see...that's pretty normal for ANY software troubleshooting.

But making a new admin account just so I can run ONE piece of software? THAT'S what irks me....It's not as if the people who are having problems have crap machines that are in disrepair...we are running OTHER software fine....in most cases we are running Photoshop fine!

So I'm at a loss as to why the troubleshooting is pointed in this direction? It's like getting a new TV and saying..."well...the reception is bad...so you  have to grab the chassis and stand on one leg when you watch any even-numbered channel...."

yeah...but I just HAD a TV that worked fine WITHOUT having to grab anything...it just WORKED.

• 951. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                                      RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

But making a new admin account just so I can run ONE piece of software? THAT'S what irks me....It's not as if the people who are having problems have crap machines that are in disrepair...we are running OTHER software fine....in most cases we are running Photoshop fine!

You are testing for a corrupt user account by doing this-not running Lightroom forever in a separate Admin Account. I have fixed more than one clients' machine by creating a new Admin-level User Account and discovering a corruption. Did you try it?

• 952. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                                        areohbee Level 6

Eaglerapids wrote:

I don't understand why people like Bob and Rob are even posting on this thread. You say your system is working fine, so why are you trying to help people whose systems aren't working fine? What in the world can you know of the problem? You guys are coming off as apologists for Adobe and you are not helping anybody. If it was a driver issue this thread would have died of natural causes months ago. It's not a harddrive problem. My goodness, it used to be that your kind of helpers told everybody to reformat your HDD and reinstall windows as the cure all, now you guys are telling everybody to build a new system for crying out loud when a lot of people who are having problems are running high end machines most people only dream about and then when you get called out you say post somewhere else. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but you guys are not helping, sorry.

The part of your post that isn't about how other people aren't helping, suggests you think of this as a single problem - it's not (ref: If it was a driver issue..., It's not a harddrive problem...). Lr4.1 solved some people's problems, *completely*, other people's problems partially, and other peoples: not at all. Some people have solved their own problems *completely*, others partially, and others not at all (some as a result of other user's suggestions, others on their own). What works for some, does not work for others.

Did you say "nothing you've done has helped"? - the suggestion I posed might help. Don't want to do it? - I don't blame you. If you wait long enough, Adobe will probably get around to solving your problem(s) too.

I stated what I would do, which may lead some to a solution, others: not...

The problems are system-dependent. The fact that some people aren't having the problems you are having, (e.g. the people at Adobe who tested Lightroom prior to initial release) running the same software, suggests you may find the solution by doing some thing(s) to your system, assuming you have the time, money, energy, and know-how to do the sorts of things that might do the trick. This holds true whether you are running a high-end, medium-end, or low-end system (assuming it meets minimum requirements).

I'm sorry you're having trouble with Lightroom, but I'm not apologizing for Adobe.

Switching to CaptureOne or what used to be Bibble seem like reasonable solutions too, if nothing you are willing and able to do has helped, and Adobe is taking too long. I've always said: "the best software to use for the job, is the one that runs well on your system".

Rob

• 953. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                                          areohbee Level 6

rpavich1234 wrote:

You know what bugs me about a list like this?

Reinstalling I can see...that's pretty normal for ANY software troubleshooting.

So I'm at a loss as to why the troubleshooting is pointed in this direction? It's like getting a new TV and saying..."well...the reception is bad...so you  have to grab the chassis and stand on one leg when you watch any even-numbered channel...."

yeah...but I just HAD a TV that worked fine WITHOUT having to grab anything...it just WORKED.

Not sure why people trying to help bug you so much. SavagePhoto's suggestion may help some people, even if not you. Or, maybe it won't help anybody - but it seems clear to me, he is at least trying to be helpful.

PS - I used to run SageTV, because my system wouldn't run BeyondTV, for some unknown reason. Then after I upgraded my motherboard, and rebuilt my system, it wouldn't run SageTV properly, but BeyondTV was working OK. In case you were wondering, I'm still running BeyondTV - but perhaps only until next upgrade...

It's not at all unusual for specialty software to run well on some machines, but not others. MS office probably runs well on a higher percentage of Windows machines, but that's different.

Rob

• 954. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                                            SavagePhoto Level 1

Creating a new admin account is because there are an number of user settings, files and registry settings that do not get removed/ replaced with an uninstall and reinstall.

this is not to run the software forever but rather just for troubleshooting - if this does help performance then that gives you great insight as to where to find the problem.

A clean reboot is to make sure other software and drivers are not the issue. - if this fixes your problem ...

Doing these steps all at once will only save you from having to make a ton of smallers steps that their frontline people will put you through to try and get you off the phone /chat.

them you can say

it happens on a clean install

It happens on a clean reboot

it happens for multipe and new users

it happens on a small catalog

yes I have followed the optimizing steps outlined by your help file

and there is not much more that a frontline tech can do besides send you on up.

If the front line techs can get you off the phone with a few simple steps Adobe will never see this as a serious issue and never spend the time to try and reproduce it. The only way this problem will get resolved is by giving Adobe enough information to reproduce the problem. If the problem cannot be reproduced it will never be fixed.

• 955. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                                              areohbee Level 6

This sounds like an excellent suggestion to me, and I thank you for posting it, even though I am not having any problems with Lightroom 4.1 performance.

• 956. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                                                areohbee Level 6

Victoria Bampton wrote:

Rob Cole wrote:

Buy new hard disk...

Er, yes, thanks Rob. While that's what I'd do on my own machine, I think I'd get slaughtered for suggesting it as a wholesale solution.

That said, hardware issues are certainly a percentage of the problems.  My business partner complained for ages, before discovering that one of his hard drives was failing.  I think there are multiple different causes going on here, which makes it much harder to narrow down.

To be clear: My suggestion was intended as a trouble-shooting step, not a wholesale solution (I assume you realize that Victoria, but it seems that  some readers do not). Read: how to eliminate a whole host of things in one fell swoop, so you don't waste a bunch of time looking for improvement where you'll *never* find it. After trouble-shooting, return hard-disk and graphics adapter to vendor, *or* keep - depending on outcome, and druthers...

• 957. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                                                  rpavich1234 Level 1

You are testing for a corrupt user account by doing this-not running Lightroom forever in a separate Admin Account. I have fixed more than one clients' machine by creating a new Admin-level User Account and discovering a corruption. Did you try it?

I thought they were suggesting that this was permanent.

This does bring up a question: Why, if all the other pieces of software work perfectly on this admin account do we think it would be a corrupt admin account?

Wouldn't the data point to this particular piece of software (the only different variable) rather than the admin account?

Just asking.

• 958. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                                                    rpavich1234 Level 1

Not sure why people trying to help bug you so much. SavagePhoto's suggestion may help some people, even if not you. Or, maybe it won't help anybody - but it seems clear to me, he is at least trying to be helpful.

It doesn't bug me at all that people are trying to help...what DOES bug me is someone suggesting that I buy motherboards and other hardware that works perfectly find with all the other software (and the previous version of THIS software) as some sort of fix...when clearly the issue lies with LR4.

I can see temp workarounds to help temporarily while Adobe fixes the problem but why should we have to revamp whole systems to accomodate LR4?

I'm perfectly happy running LIGHTING FAST LR3 until LR4 is servicable.

• 959. Re: Lightroom 4 is slow
                                                                                      rpavich1234 Level 1

Creating a new admin account is because there are an number of user settings, files and registry settings that do not get removed/ replaced with an uninstall and reinstall.

this is not to run the software forever but rather just for troubleshooting - if this does help performance then that gives you great insight as to where to find the problem.

A clean reboot is to make sure other software and drivers are not the issue. - if this fixes your problem ...

Doing these steps all at once will only save you from having to make a ton of smallers steps that their frontline people will put you through to try and get you off the phone /chat.

I understand now...thanks for doing this.

1 22 23 24 25 26 Previous Next