4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2012 12:04 PM by Dave LaRonde

After Effects and Media Encoder do not use system resources!

phoenixsilver145

Hi all.

I have a slight problem concerning AE and ME. Neither of them use the full resources of my computer.

I have 8GB (2*4GB) RAM, and an Intel i5-2500K CPU.

When rendering previews, AE takes ages to load the clip (about one second of footage per 10 seconds). When rendering (encoding) clips within ME and AE, everything is extremely slow. This only happens when I'm doing big compositions, or using pre-made (and very big) template effects.

While encoding, AE/ME use about 50% of the CPU and RAM, instead of the full capacity. Surely they would perform better if using full system resources?

I have even tried setting the process priorities for AE and ME to 'High Priority' but that doesn't make much difference.

AE already has 39 GB space for a cache, preview is disabled while encoding in ME. I've given them as much RAM in their respective preferences, but this makes no difference. I understand that the programs will be a little slow when working and high-calibre compositions, but they're not even using as much capacity as is available on the system.

ME is taking a little over an hour to encode one 30 second clip.

I hope you can help - much thanks in advance.

-phoenix

P.S. Both pieces of software are CS5.5

• 1. Re: After Effects and Media Encoder do not use system resources!
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

8 gigs isn't exactly a boatload of RAM anymore, especially for AE.  Turn off multiprocessing until you get more memory.  Furthermore, turn off Open GL is you're using it to accelerate rendering; it hurts more than helps.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: After Effects and Media Encoder do not use system resources!
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nothing to fix because nothing is broken. The programs wil ltake what they need and not beyond that or more to the point, what their internal infrastructure allows them to use. Many encoding tasks require strict linear processing as do many effects in AE, which severely limits the ability to use multiple cores/ processors no matter what. Furthermore things like linear file access in clip based formats would furtehr compound the issue. And finally, naturally it matters a lot what's going on in your projects. If your footage loads slowly, move it to a faster disk. if it's compressed, uncompress/ convert it. If you use slow effects, substitute them with faster commercial third-party plug-ins. if you render to clips, redner to image sequences. The list for potential optimization could go on and on, but suffice it to say that none of this involves just pushing a magic button or checking a specific option. you need to learn these things and tweak them based on experience.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: After Effects and Media Encoder do not use system resources!
              phoenixsilver145 Level 1

Thank you to both of you for explaining. I had Multiprocessing on - I'm going to disable that today. I may consider getting 16GB of RAM to speed things up, but now Mylenium' explained I think it's just the programs doing their job.

I use Third Party Plugins - A lot of trapcode suite products provide professional results with slow rendering - I guess that's the price you have to pay for making media at home.

Many thanks once again,

-phoenix

• 4. Re: After Effects and Media Encoder do not use system resources!
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

phoenixsilver145 wrote:

I use Third Party Plugins - A lot of trapcode suite products provide professional results with slow rendering - I guess that's the price you have to pay for making media at home.

Actually, it isn't that steep a price when you consider the state of affairs even ten years ago.  To get 10 seconds of SD video out of an AE comp of moderate complexity meant an overnight or weekend render.  No kidding.