5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2012 4:33 PM by adninjastrator

How to Add Reflection to SWF?

sneedbreedley Level 1

I created an SWF slideshow in Flash and embedded it in my webpage. But now I want it to reflect below itself and gradually fade off like I've seen in countless other websites. I asked how to do it in the Flash forum but got no answers. (And for some reason, as of today, 3/6/12, I can no longer post anything in the Flash Pro forum). But let's not dwell on that. How can I reflect an SWF?

• 1. Re: How to Add Reflection to SWF?
          adninjastrator Level 4

To reflect anything in the .swf, you need to create the reflection as part of the .swf.

So increase the Flash doc dimensions by whatever number of pixels you want the reflected part to be.

Then you need to create the reflection as a part of the original image... so it has a top half... normal image, then also a bottom half or bottom 1/3 or so.

And since reflection are normally at an angle, I'd suggest you create this as a .png, since you may need part of the image to overlap the next image in the slideshow and want that overlap part to be transparent.

So you have your original... then flip or mirror image that right down below the very bottom of the original. Then skew that bottom part a little to imitate a reflection..

Now you have to identical images. but the bottom one is flipped upside down... mirroring the top.

Then apply a gradient mask which will fade from 100% opaque to 100% transparent.

Also I would suggest creating you images outside of Flash... but if you have to, you can also do it in Flash... principles are the same.

Ton's of tutorials... just Google "Photoshop mirror reflection"... this is just one:

http://www.designfreebies.org/design-tutorials/photoshop-tutorials/photoshop-tutorial-simp le-and-easy-mirror-reflection/

So this is NOT an actionscript proceedure, it's a physical, create the reflection as part of the image process.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 2. Re: How to Add Reflection to SWF?
            sneedbreedley Level 1

My flash timeline is composed of 20-30 images fading in and out. I was hoping to apply a reflection to the entire timeline rather than having to reflect ever single image.

• 3. Re: How to Add Reflection to SWF?
              adninjastrator Level 4

I sure that's what you where hoping for.. I don't know of any way to do that except perhaps to create a complete new swf that also has 20-30 images.... just the bottom reflection part... and then attemp to sync that with your other .swf.

or.... create a new .swf... same dimensions as your current one... then load the current .swf into the new one and flip the entire .swf upside down and apply gradient mask as described above... then attempt to sync the two...

or some combination of all above suggestions

But it'll be much easier to keep everything all in just one .swf

Another option might be to purchase/download a slideshow with reflections... in other words the slideshow software goes thru all those necessary manual steps for you.

Something like:

http://activeden.net/item/fx-color-reflection-slideshow-and-banner-rotator/60494

either way, the physical manipulation of the image is the same.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 4. Re: How to Add Reflection to SWF?
                sneedbreedley Level 1

I took your advice an created the reflection in photoshop and replaced all my pix in Flash with the new pix containing the reflections and all is well.

• 5. Re: How to Add Reflection to SWF?
                  adninjastrator Level 4

Congrates! I know that it's not the quickest or easiest method...so job well done!!

Adninjastrator