9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2013 9:12 AM by KSArtScience

Can a static mask be created that won't move when the image being masked is moved?

DWRayC

I need a mask that I can size and then add still images (which would be masked by the mask) which I can scale dynamically behind the mask using motion.  I can set the mask up and it will mask the image, but every time I scale (to zoom) the image, the size of the mask changes also.  I need the mask to remain static (same size in the video) while I change the scale of the picture (zoom in on the masked image during the video without changing the size of the superimposed image) that is seen through the mask.  Can this be done?  My layers are as follows: 

Video 4 is masking layer.

Video 3 contains the various stills that are shown on top of the still in Video 2 layer as seen through the mask in video 4;

Video 2 is still picture that is static full screen while smaller still images are seen (with mask) on top of it;

Video 1 is current sound track with video that is currently not wanted to be seen;

Thanks for any help with this...

(this originally got posted in After Effects...don't know how...but I've reposted here since it is a question concerning Premiere Elements.  Please excuse the cross posting as I couldn't see a way to move the original question.

Ray

• 1. Re: Can a static mask be created that won't move when the image being masked is moved?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on how you're creating your "mask". There isn't a mask in Premiere Elements -- however there are a number of ways to pixelate or hide an area in a video.

But you should be able to independently zoom in or out of any clip by right-clicking on it on the timeline, selecting Show Properties and adjusting the Scale in the Motion properties.

If you want specific instructions, you'll have to tell us more specifically what effects you're applying and how.

• 2. Re: Can a static mask be created that won't move when the image being masked is moved?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ray,

To do the "masking" that you are referring to, I think that two Effects (explore each, to see which works best for you), will give you what you want:

The Crop Effect, applied to the Still Images in Video Track 3. This Effect can be Keyframed to change, as is required over time.

The 4-Point Garbage Matte Effect.

If the Still on Video 2 is sized to the Frame of the Project, say 1920 x 1080 for Full-HD, it will "cover" the Video on Video Track 1.

Note: it is best to Scale the Still Images to very close to what you want/need, in PS, or PSElements, prior to Import. What you are doing with the Still Images in Video Track 3 is creating a PiP (Picture in Picture). This ARTICLE goes into more detail on

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Can a static mask be created that won't move when the image being masked is moved?
              Robert J. Johnston Level 2

If you were using the Track Matte Key, then that won't work.

This might work:

The background clip on on track 1 needs to go on track 2. The clip that was on track 2 that is being masked now goes on track 1. Remove the Track Matte Key effect from it. Remove the mask from track 3. Add the Image Matte Key to the clip on track 2. The Image Matte Key requires you to pick an image from the hard drive, which is your mask. In the properties panel in PRE, on the Image Matte Key effect you have to click the little icon with an little arrow pointing to the little properties page, which is next to the "Toggle Animation" icon. A dialog pops up. Then you can select your mask. Set the type of mask to Luma or Alpha. The clip on track 1 can now be moved or resized.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can a static mask be created that won't move when the image being masked is moved?
                DWRayC Level 1

Well, I called it a mask because that is the effect I wanted...for something to be masked and allowed to show through a fixed window in the mask.  I have used both the Track Matte Key and the Title shape tools successfully to create my "mask" but the result is the same.  If I resize (scale) the picture that is being masked in an attempt to create a zoom effect through the mask "window" the mask "window" zooms as well and I can't find a way to unlink this action.

Ray

• 5. Re: Can a static mask be created that won't move when the image being masked is moved?
                  DWRayC Level 1

Hello Bill,

Actually my video 2 track is sized to the frame of the project, completely covering video 1 because all I want from video 1at that point is the sound track.  I am already cropping the still picture that is being shown through the window of the matte, and have tried the 4-point Garbage Matte.  The problem with that is that the garbage mattes will scale with the masked picture as if they are linked when the scale of the masked picture is changed.  In order to get this to work, a simultaneous, opposite scaling effect would have to be created so that when the masked picture was scaling and possibly panning (position change), the mask would also have to be scaled in the opposite direction and moved/panned (position change) in the opposite direction of the masked image in order to hold it's position and size, not to mention cropping changes that would also need to be made on the fly.  Without any kind of grid to place on the monitor window to ensure that the opposing parameters of position, scale, and cropping were working correctly to hold the position of the matte, this is just not workable.

Ray

• 6. Re: Can a static mask be created that won't move when the image being masked is moved?
                    DWRayC Level 1

Hello Robert,

Your Image Matte idea could be made to work, but it's not very user friendly.  Since the Matte is an Effect of the actual image that is being masked and not an actual image in a layer itself like a Track Matte Key would be, it can't be resized or moved around to get it exactly where it is wanted.  An image matte would have to be custom created for each image to be shown if there was a desired difference in size and/or position between the various images to be "masked."  That is why I was hoping that the Track Matte could be made to work.  Since it is an independent image on it's own track, it, along with the transparant area, can be resized and moved around easily to work for the desired effect.

Ray

• 7. Re: Can a static mask be created that won't move when the image being masked is moved?
                      KSArtScience Level 1

Hi, I'm unsure why this hasn't been suggested, but if you "nest" the particular layer, then track mask will remain static and not try to follow the stills you animate.  I just tested it for my project--and it works.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Can a static mask be created that won't move when the image being masked is moved?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

KSArtScience

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system?

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Can a static mask be created that won't move when the image being masked is moved?
                          KSArtScience Level 1

Hmm...only now do I realize this discussion is regarding Premiere Elements, which is a simplified version of the Premiere Pro?  My mistake--sorry for the confusion, because my solution involves Premiere Pro.