3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2012 10:27 AM by Mylenium

After Effects error: Crash in progress

A.I.1 Level 3

I 've jost got "After Effects error: Crash in progress.  Last logged message was <2160> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 I:0.0000000 w:1374.00000 h:533.00000

This was rendering a 4K video (4096x2304) with H264 compression.  I think I had around a GB of free virtual memory.  Is it just that it needs more memory - do I just need to increase the virutal memory - would increasing it by a GB or so fix it?  It's currently 3616 MB.

Current PC:

After Effects CS4

Windows Vista

4 GB RAM

3616 MB page file (according to performance options).

• 1. Re: After Effects error: Crash in progress
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Is it just that it needs more memory - do I just need to increase the virutal memory - would increasing it by a GB or so fix it?

No. Not at all. The error is prety clear, actually:

w:1374.00000 h:533.00000

These are not valid dimensions for any MPEG-based output, since they need to be multiples of 2,4,8,16 and so on. Now I'm sure you set up the actual render correctly, but that info is coming from somewhere, so check if not a specific plug-in is causing this or your source footage may be damaged...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: After Effects error: Crash in progress
            A.I.1 Level 3

Thanks for your answer.  I wasn't able to reproduce the error after exiting and then re-starting After Effects.  I did manage to render my project, though I did get an out of memory error when attempting to add an effect (CC. Mercury I think), but then exiting and trying again it worked..

My project was very simple - 2 white rectangular solids (3840x2160 each) each on a seperate layer, with effects added to each.

But I think this is okay now, as I can't recreate it (and I can't think what had a resolution of 1374x533).  Though it would be helpful if Ater Efects could give a more meaninful message when there is a problem instead of crashing with this message.

• 3. Re: After Effects error: Crash in progress
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Though it would be helpful if Ater Efects could give a more meaninful message when there is a problem instead of crashing with this message.

I agree on that one, but alas, it's not gonna happen. In fact it just has gotten worse ever since they decided to play the "secret" game and introduced their new system. One of the many reasons that made it pointless to even try and maintain my error code database any longer...

Mylenium