3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2012 7:54 AM by Dennis 1111

Questions re: ACR 6.7

Dennis 1111 Level 2

I normally don't install RC versions of ACR so I hope maybe some of you that have or someone from Adobe could satisfy my curiosity:

Since 6.7 is compatible with the new 2012 process engine, is there any real advantage in using that from LR4 in comparison to just having LR4 render a TIFF?  Since I am assuming that ACR 6.7 does not actually give you access to the process 2012 controls, you presumably can't use it as a Smart Object with 2012 controls either so what's the point?

Just seems strange they included both the new camera support and the new process engine.  I guess maybe it was easier to do that than to strip the new process out?

• 1. Re: Questions re: ACR 6.7
          wysiwygot

I have the same Question!

• 2. Re: Questions re: ACR 6.7
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR4 was released before CS6/ACR7 so Adobe built the PV2012 rendering engine into ACR6.7.  ACR 7 with CS6 will have the PV2012 controls. 

As far as creating an intermediate TIF vs having ACR render the data directly into PS, I prefer not to have an intermediate file I have to delete nor the extra time to create then read that file, and would rather not have an output colorspace truncate some colors from  my RAW rendering on the way to Photoshop, either.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Questions re: ACR 6.7
              Dennis 1111 Level 2

ssprengel wrote:

LR4 was released before CS6/ACR7 so Adobe built the PV2012 rendering engine into ACR6.7.  ACR 7 with CS6 will have the PV2012 controls. 

As far as creating an intermediate TIF vs having ACR render the data directly into PS, I prefer not to have an intermediate file I have to delete nor the extra time to create then read that file, and would rather not have an output colorspace truncate some colors from  my RAW rendering on the way to Photoshop, either.

I can understand a little bit not wanting the intermediate file if after your edits in PS you customarily save somewhere besides the source directory and I can also see a tiny difference in time between "CR2>rendering and saving TIFF>reading TIFF into PS" and CR2>rendering and reading into PS".  Unless you are using Smart Objects though (and that is presumably not an option using ACR 6.7), you are going to be truncating to the working color space either way.

Anyway, thanks to all those that replied.  I just wanted to check to see if there was something "magic" there with ACR 6.7 that I was missing.