16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2012 2:43 PM by RjL190365

Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?

spreeni Level 1

Hello

I'm actually frustrated by my Blackmagic Intensity Pro, which is crashing randomly on complex projects. Last days I tried Matrox MXO2 mini, which is running faster than the BM hardware but makes my system crashing more often than before. Without any hardware, CS5.5 is running perfect, but I need a valid YUV preview monitor in PPro and AE.

So there's only AJA left, for example IO Express or Kona LHi , which are working on windows, too. But as I understand, AJA's focus is on MAC Systems, so how is it working on Windows? Are there any experiences?

Any comments are welcome.

Frank

Edit: Uuh, maybe better in PPro hardware forum? - Sorry.

• 1. Re: Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Without any hardware, CS5.5 is running perfect

This is why we need to eliminate the additional costs, bugs and limitations of third-party solutions.  It's long past time Adobe tapped into the graphics cards we already have installed.  Please help make that happen.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/900221?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?
            spreeni Level 1

Thank you Jim, you're right and I have already "voted" long time ago. But I need a monitor solution now. Dealing with a second graphics card is no option because I use to cut interlaced DVCProHD video (50i) which can't be shown by graphics cards in a clean way. I tested that with some cards.

That's why I came to this AJA idea, but I cannot find anyone who's using it in windows. So I hope for some impressions...

• 3. Re: Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?
              lasvideo Level 4

FWIW external display on my Kona 3 is working fine on my Mac for both PrP and AE with the most recent AJA drivers (for the Kona and Adobe).

• 4. Re: Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?
                BGabriele Level 1

Hi Frank

I just built a new pc AROUND an LHi, and I'm very happy with it. I thought it best to go the distance with the processor (Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz ) and an x79 chipset mobo, and 16 GB ram. This combination allows for 40 something lanes of PCIe, which makes all of the PCIe hardware happy.

You're right, AJA appears to be a bit more on the Mac side of the line, but not a deal breaker. I found getting things to work more difficult than usual, but attribute it to the higher capabilities the card has to offer. I found the effort to be worthwhile.

The card wants its own AJA player and sequence in premiere, with lots of settings.

One of the things i like best is the a control application that gives a graphic representation of the state of the cards inputs and outputs. There are similar settings that have to be made from within Premiere's settings.

Let me add...I feed the downconverted output of the LHi to the previous PC, capturing the stream to the BM intensity Pro / media capture program.

I posted a message here yesterday, asking for comments on high quality rendering for playback.

...Ben

• 5. Re: Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?
                  spreeni Level 1

Ben, thanks for your reply. Good to hear that it works for you. Can you tell something about PPro timeline behavior? I've read something about timeline start delays after hitting play especially when putting realtime effects on clips. Did you recognize anything of that? How about stability of dynamic link to After Effects. This was a big problem of my matrox hardware.

I posted a message here yesterday, asking for comments on high quality rendering for playback.

I've read your post and think this depends of the codec you use for your preview files. In BM and Matrox timelines you can specify the codec and bitrate, for example 'uncompressed 10 bit'. If you use high quality or even uncompressed settings there is nothing to say against working with the rendered files and sending them to other (hardware)encoders.

Btw. what codecs can be used with Kona LHi in native AJA sequences? I know of DVCProHD and uncompressed video. Is there anything else available, some kind of intermediate codec? 

• 6. Re: Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?
                    BGabriele Level 1

Frank

I've only recently gotten the computer set up, and installing and getting familiar with the LHi was last, but not least.

What I've tried, so far, seems to work very smoothly. Media so far has been 1020i AVCHD imports, cineform DI's and AJA "10-Bit YUV 4:2:2 – ‘v210’".

I was eager to assess the quality of the hardware conversion from HD to SD, which it did very well. I've been using cineform as my DI of choice, and the capture / conversion utility included with cineform (HDLink) does a great job in downscaling. So, I used a cineform conversion as a comparison reference to the kona hardware converion. While doing that, I did'nt have any timeline instabilities.

I don't have AE. Haven't tried a link with Encore since the new pc. In the past, I've come to accept that I just need to wait for Encore to process whatever I give it. Whenever I've tried to nudge it prematurely, I've seen white screen crashes.

The LHi can capture to a wide variety of formats http://www.aja.com/pdf/manual_KONA_PC_v5.5.pdf  (extensive - best to see for yourself), and as you said, AJA features the DVCProHD codec for compressed editing. I don't have much need for that at this time. They make it pretty clear that, otherwise,  the card wants to work with uncompressed files. I haven't had any issues using the cineform codec yet, but I haven't really "pushed the envelope" yet.

I have the feeling that the rest of the computer is giving the LHi an opportunity to run as well as possible. It's my understanding that the new Sandy Bridge cpu is making 40 PCIe lanes available. This might be giving the graphics card, the Areca raid controller and the LHi the elbow room they need to work smoothly.

• 7. Re: Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?
                      spreeni Level 1

I just want to add a new information about the Matrox MXO2 mini. Today they released a new driver set 6.1, which is currently beta but running very stable and smooth. So by now, there is no need for me anymore to change to AJA. Thank you for your suggestions.

• 8. Re: Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

If Matrox 'stable' is bug-ridden, what is Matrox 'beta'? And for how long?

• 9. Re: Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?
                          BGabriele Level 1

I'm happy to hear that your issue is resolved.

For what it's worth, as brief as it is, I just ran the PPBM5 benchmark with no apparent problems / stutters, etc. I'm eager to see how well my new setup ranks among the others.

• 10. Re: Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Ben,

I published your results and they are quite nice. Rank # 83, which is very good for a non-overclocked system.

• 11. Re: Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?
                              spreeni Level 1

If Matrox 'stable' is bug-ridden, what is Matrox 'beta'? And for how long?

You're right, Harm. It's no good feeling seeing Matrox need nearly one year to develop stable drivers. But now they did and I'll give them a try. But it's also good to know that AJA works stable for having an alternative solution.

Btw, any clue why Matrox systems have such poor results in disk benchmark of PPBM5? I didn't recognized speed problems in real projects nor in any disk benchmarks, so what is the difference in PPBM5 test?

• 12. Re: Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

I'm guessing here, but this is what I think happens:

PR project (no Matrox): Direct export is the direct method of copying the results to disk, AME is hampered by handing over from PR to AME and back/forth, so a lot of extra processes and hence the performance degradation between direct export and AME.

Matrox project: Both direct export and AME queueing get an additional layer of handing over from either to Matrox , adding another performance penalty.

Remarks are limited to DV AVI export, because that is where the most obvious Matrox performance hit occurs.

• 13. Re: Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?
                                  BGabriele Level 1

"I published your results and they are quite nice. Rank # 83, which is very good for a non-overclocked system."

Thanks, Harm!

Aside from OC'ing, do you think I'd benifit much by upgrading my OS drive from the basic 7200 3Gb/s to an SSD ?

...Ben

• 14. Re: Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?
                                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not Harm (just the other half of PPBM) but you will not benefit any on your PPBM5.score with an SSD for your OS/Applications drive.

Look at the MPEG2-DVD score of #84.  All due to ovewrclocking.

• 15. Re: Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?
                                      BGabriele Level 1

Hi Bill...Got it.

Let me say that I enjoyed taking part in the PPBM, and I'd like to thank you and Harm for sharing your wisdom.

...Ben

• 16. Re: Is AJA hardware working stable in windows CS5.5 now?
                                        RjL190365 Level 4

That score of 200 seconds is very good for a non-overclocked i7-3930K, even if that system has only 16GB of RAM. This just confirms that having only 1.3GB per logical core does not degrade the performance of an LGA 2011-based system anywhere near as much as I had expected.