5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2012 4:35 AM by Steve Grisetti

Elements 10 - transitions and trimming clips

martinpat1 Level 1

I am currently using the mac Trial Version of Premier Elements 10. Elements 10 is great apart from working with transitions. With all the PC software I’ve used, I’ve simply applied the transitions (mainly cross fade/dissolve) between clips, and one clip fades out completely as the next fades in. With Elements, I noticed that this didn’t happen, i.e. you could see one clip stop playing and the next clip static for a few seconds before that started playing. After a very long time researching on the net, I’ve discovered that Elements needs you to trim the clips so that the transition takes places over the unwanted sections, i.e. create “handles”. Fine, but that means I have to manually trim EVERY clip. I don’t mind transitions taking place over the very beginning and end of clips, and I don’t want to spend forever trimming hundreds of clips. Surely this can’t be right - it's such a basic thing. Things seems so much more complicated with a mac. Help!!!

• 1. Re: Elements 10 - transitions and trimming clips
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I show you in my books, every transition needs some "head" and "tail" material beyond the cut to create the transition. In other words, when you place a transition between two clips, the program needs half a second or so of extra material beyond the end of the first clip and beyond the beginning of the next to create the transitional segment when both clips are onscreen.

If you don't have this extra material, the program uses a still frame.

To get a good, smooth transition, just trim back the end of the outgoing clip and the beginning of the incoming clip half a second or so to provide this transitional "head" and "tail."

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Elements 10 - transitions and trimming clips
            martinpat1 Level 1

Hi Steve

Thanks for your speedy reply! I've now mastered the trimming, but I just don't want to have to do that for every clip that I insert into the timeline. Other software I've used doesn't require this "head" and "tail" - the transition takes place regardless. I really don't mind the fact that I might not see a few seconds of action at the beginning and end of a clip, I just don't want to have to spend forever messing around with trimming hundreds of clips when all I want to do is drag all the clips onto the timeline and add the same transitions between them all. I'm guessing that this isn't possible, even though it's a problem I've never experienced before!

Martin

• 3. Re: Elements 10 - transitions and trimming clips
              nealeh Level 5

First double-click the transition to see what its alignment is. If not already set so, try 'Center at Cut' and see if you like that result better.

1.png

If you want to fine tune it I find it one of those tasks easier in Sceneline view. You merely need to drag the Out/In points a smidgeon from the transition. In the screenshot below the thick black line is the transition and you can see I've dragged the in point a little to its right.

2.png

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Elements 10 - transitions and trimming clips
                martinpat1 Level 1

Thanks for your reply Neale.

I'm already using the "centre at cut" option, but the issue is to do with Elements wanting you to place the transition over the trimmed bits of the clips. I can get the transition to work absolutely fine using "centre at cut" and trimming, but my concern is that I have to trim every single clip in a project consisting of many many clips. Other software doesn't require you to do this - so my question is, is there a batch trimming function of any sort?

• 5. Re: Elements 10 - transitions and trimming clips
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

No.

1 person found this helpful