4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2012 8:33 PM by Jess kitten 77

copying cordia new font (thai) into indesign

Jess kitten 77

Hello lovely people!

Im a graph designer, but i dont have much experience in using multicultural fonts.Im currently working with thai font in ID CS5

and im having issues copying and pasting the font from word or outlook into ID CS5.When i copy it over the font cordia new

is not consistant with what it looks like in word.Some characters are not copying over correctly.I have tried using another

font which was DokChampa, which displayed the problematic characters correctly, but then this font displayed other characters

incorrectly apparently.Im going to have to work with chinese,arabic,and korean font later down the track too.

Does anyone have any tips for this problem, possibly a different thai font type that works good for copying & pasting?
      Thanks and have a great day

• 1. Re: copying cordia new font (thai) into indesign
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Jess,

I'm not a graphic designer - I'm a localization engineer/translation industry DTP wonk/et cetera. The short version of the answer you need is "you need to have the World-Ready Composer turned on." It's not in the documentation, but a Google search for that term should get you started. In addition, you need to get used to placing text instead of copying and pasting, not only because that's the safest way to get text into ID in general, but because clipboards will do funny things to complex-script text, depending on the OS and base OS language.

In addition... so, you're a graphic designer? You learned a great deal about what good typography in English, right? Have you learned as much about good typography in Arabic, Chinese, and Korean? Because each of those languages has a serious calligraphic tradition, and in one case has a tradition of caring a lot about the quality of visual presentation of text that streches back to long before Latin script even existed. In short - you may have bitten off more than you can chew, here.

I can help you get the text to render correctly in InDesign, but if you need anything more than bare legibility in non-English languages, you should consider jobbing this portion of your project out to a professional. Or, better yet, to a bunch of professionals, who are actually literate in the langauges in question.

• 2. Re: copying cordia new font (thai) into indesign
            Jess kitten 77 Level 1

Hi Joel

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me.so i have been having a bit of a read and to enable this world ready composer i have to find some scripts for it

to be enabled.Also a .Inx file can help too?

Yeah i work for a non for profit and i have been thrown in the deep end with this job!! fortunatley it doesent have to look pretty & well designed, otherwise it

just wouldnt happen as we dont have the funding. I agree, if i could outsource it i would, believe me! bare legebility is a starting point & fortunatley we do have

workers that can speak some languages, they just dont know how to use the CS suite...

Ive been placing in PDF's of of the font & that seems to work ok but i was hoping for another way so i could directly edit the txt in ID.

• 3. Re: copying cordia new font (thai) into indesign
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, Jess, you said the magic words:

non for profit

as I am the DTP wonk in... a not-for-profit translation firm.   Having in-house review resources is invaluable. Of course, they may not be able to spot typographical issues, as that does actually require some training that you don't get in typical schooling. I quite often correct my native-speaker coworkers and pro translator contractors on issues of typography in Chinese, Arabic, et cetera. However, your coworkers be able to guarantee legibility, which is what we both really need out of our layouts, right?

I can help you set up a decent toolset for handling these languages - I've been working on a basic howto with a bunch of links, but it's rather far down on my to-do list.  You can use a variety of templates & scripts to access InDesign's hidden multilingual features, of which the World-Ready Composer is the most important. However, the most comprehensive solution does cost a bit of money. If you can squeeze a hundred some-odd dollars out of a budget somewhere, then buying World Tools or World Tools Pro will make the money back for you in a few working days, if you're making more than US minimum wage. Seriously, it's the most effective money I've ever spent in this career, hands down. (The Pro version is totally necessary if you want to do Japanese.)

If you download a demo, you can use it to turn on the WRC on your Thai text. Or, you can follow the first link from a Google search on "World Ready Composer" to Thomas Phinney's blog post about it; you'll find some scripts that are named as if they are only useful for right-to-left languages, but if you open those scripts up in a text editor you'll see that some of them just assign the WRC and nothing else. That, at least, will get your Thai to compose correctly.

• 4. Re: copying cordia new font (thai) into indesign
                Jess kitten 77 Level 1

yay that is awesome!!

thanks so much for your help, im pretty lucky to get help like that! thats really cool that you know a few languages.Yeah im sure i could get world tools pro if thats the best & easiest way.Ok im going to download the trial now.have a great day joel!