1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 8, 2012 11:50 PM by Mylenium

Which laptop should I buy that would run AE better?

some10body

I'm debating between two HP laptops. I like the one better due to it's smaller size and higher resolution, but i'm a little worried that the i5 won't handle as well as I'd like.

The one i think I want to buy: http://www.amazon.com/HP-dm4-3090se-14-0-Inch-Screen-Laptop/dp/B006OEL9GU

PROS: 1600 x 900 resolution, no dedicated graphics card = good battery life, 32GB SSD Drive, light weight + portable

However, would I be better off getting http://www.amazon.com/Hewlett-Packard-BrightView-Fingerprint-SuperMulti/dp/B004S4DVTQ/ref= sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331255057&sr=1-3 with the i7 processor and dedicated graphics? Downside is the resolution for the 15.6 inch screen is 1366 x 768, which would be really annoying to work with, correct?

Keep in mind, I plan on upgrading either of the laptops to 8GB RAM anyway, seeing as a stick of 4GB is like $20 on newegg. Would the i5 really be a killer in my performance? the first laptop also has a 32GB SSD, used mainly for OS and cache, i'm not sure if it would even be noticed by AE. If I went with somethign else, i'd purchase a mommentus XT (Solid state hybrid drive) anyway. 

If any of you guys have any better suggestions for an ideal, travel friendly (I'd bring it to college classes + trips) AE-powered laptop for less than $1000, do share. I've spent a good couple hours trying to find the best investment.

Thanks a ton!

• 1. Re: Which laptop should I buy that would run AE better?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You need a dedicated graphics card and soon-ish you will need it even more... Those intel graphics are simply useless and too much trouble. That doesn't mean you should go with the secohnd machine, though. The system specs for the screen res do not even qualify to install, if I'm not mistaken... The processor is a non-issue. Even an i3 will be reasonably fast enough for many tasks and with so little RAM you won't be able to use MP rendering, anyway. Do a little more research and find a different model.

Mylenium