5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2012 9:31 AM by Bill Gehrke

Help installing Areca 1882ix-12

RFDPiper Level 1

I'm new to using a raid card, it's got some connections I'm not familiar with, so bear with me.  I'm installing two raid sets (internal) in my computer.  The card has got three internal Min SAS 4i (SFF-8087) ports, so I assume I need 8087 to SATA connectors.  Should I install each raid set into a different 8087 port?  Can I run multiple raid sets with a single port?  Should I use separate 8087 port per raid volume?  If so, wouldn't this limit the card to three raid sets?  Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm just not sure how to make the connections to my hard drives.

• 1. Re: Help installing Areca 1882ix-12
          JEShort01 Level 4

You can totally ignore how which drives attach to the cabling. And unlike some recent horror stories on this forum about motherboard RAID sets being lost, anything that you configure on an Areca can be unplugged, replugged, and plugged into a different Areca controller card without much risk at all of losing anything at all.

Jim

• 2. Re: Help installing Areca 1882ix-12
            Jim_Simon Level 9

Can you even have multiple RAIDs on one card?  I'd always assumed it was one RAID per controller.

• 3. Re: Help installing Areca 1882ix-12
              wonderspark Level 1

You need 8087 to SATA breakout cables, which split the 8087 into four SATA connectors. Something like this should work from Monoprice, or there are other options if you don't need the power cables included in the same cable like that.

You can run up to 12 disks internally and configure the RAID set(s) any way you like. It's not limited to the three connections on the card. You can also run four more disks via the external port, and they can be part of the internal RAID set(s) as well, if you want. It's very flexible that way, and you can do 16 disks total in that manner.

• 4. Re: Help installing Areca 1882ix-12
                RFDPiper Level 1

Can you even have multiple RAIDs on one card?  I'd always assumed it was one RAID per controller

Uh-oh, can anyone confirm that this card can control multiple raid sets?  If not, anyone want to buy a raid card?

• 5. Re: Help installing Areca 1882ix-12
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

RFDPiper wrote:

Can you even have multiple RAIDs on one card?  I'd always assumed it was one RAID per controller

Uh-oh, can anyone confirm that this card can control multiple raid sets?  If not, anyone want to buy a raid card?

Absolutely you can have any number of RAID's on the Areca cards