6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2012 7:00 AM by Rick Gerard

Composition name matching image sequence

baldinbro11 Level 1

How do you make a new composition have the same composition name as the source image sequence you're dragging into it? I'm trying to batch DNG sequences into .movs, but AE keeps changing the comp names - making my life difficult.  I'm talking about A LOT of image sequences so doing it manually is not really an option.

• 1. Re: Composition name matching image sequence
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you using the DNG importer?

I've never had AE change a movie name from the file name. Import an image sequence you get a video file (frame rate depends on interpretation rules) with the name of the first image in the sequence. Drag that footage into a new comp and the name should match. The only think that I can think of that would make this foul up would be a weird naming convention using a bunch of non standard characters.

• 2. Re: Composition name matching image sequence
            baldinbro11 Level 1

It's not when I import the image sequence (that uses the folder name cause I'm using "force alphabetical"), it's when I take the image sequence and drag it into the new comp button on the bottom of the project window.  It usually takes the last image sequence imported and adds a number to it.  So if I have four image sequences A001, A002, A003, A004.  When I drag A001 into a comp the comp name becomes A005.  See attached.  I've got two images sequences, when I drag them into comps AE gives them new names.

comp-name.JPG

• 3. Re: Composition name matching image sequence

I get it now.

Selecting an image and importing normally won't give you the file name.

Screen Shot 2012-03-08 at 10.01.12 PM.png

If you select force alphabetical order you should get the folder name for the image sequence and that's normal. AE is going to add a number to the name when you drag it into a composition with either method.

I'd give the DNG importer a try. I haven't used it but it may solve your problem. There is no preference that's easily editable for this behavior.

• 4. Re: Composition name matching image sequence
                baldinbro11 Level 1

Hey Rick,

Thanks so much for the help, but I think we still might be crossed up a bit.

It's not a matter of importing.  The DNGs are coming in great with the file name I want (the name of the folder). 

What I want is for AE not to add a number to the comp name.  I totally get that's the default way AE works, but is there any setting to make it not do that?  To have it so that the comp takes the name of the image sequence you bring into it?

What I've got is a bunch of DNG image sequences and I need to transcode them to .movs for editing.  Very few programs can read DNGs at the moment and AE is one of them, but it's not well suited for batch transcoding image sequences ... one of the reasons why is this comp naming thing.  If I have to re-name each individual comp there's a lotta room for error and it takes forever.

I know After Effects pretty well, but this is something that's always bothered me and I've never found the answer to.  Is there really no way to do this?  Is there a better Adobe tool for batch transcoding DNGs?

• 5. Re: Composition name matching image sequence
                  baldinbro11 Level 1

PS I have DNG Importer installed.  It allows me to bring in the DNGs, but that's it.

• 6. Re: Composition name matching image sequence

No way that I know of. There may be something you can manually edit in the preferences file but I just looked and it's not obvious.