8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2012 8:10 AM by Dathaeus

De-Saturation Mask Not Working... Exactly

Dathaeus Level 1

Hey guys... weird problem... I am trying to create one of those images where you desaturate all the color out of an image and leave only a few select "highlight" components in color for effect...  so I go to the layer, click on the "Create new fill or adjustment layer" button at the bottom of the layers panel (next to create mask), and use the Hue/Saturation option, then desaturate the setting, then paint bucket the layer to black, and then use a white brush to wipe out the colors in the areas that I want.  It seems like it does it fine, but the thing is, it doesnt desaturate 100%.  This has happened in another "desaturate" process (cant remember what it was exactly).  It seems to take out the color but there is still definitely some brownish or whatever hue in there.. it shows as such when I use an eyedropper to check the "new color," and when I turn the image into grayscale, it defintely is different.

So why can tthe white brush desaturate the colors 100%  There must be some other setting I am missing?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: De-Saturation Mask Not Working... Exactly
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

Instead of using the paint bucket tool to fill the layer mask with black, invert the layer mask by Ctrl(cmd)+i (image>adjustments>invert) and see if that makes a difference.

Also check your brush settings to make sure you painting with white i.e press the d key before painting and check the opacity, mode etc set for the brush.

• 2. Re: De-Saturation Mask Not Working... Exactly
            Dathaeus Level 1

Hmmmmm... first on my original I was able to invert and try again with the white bruch, again making sure it is FFFFFF and 100% opacity, and no change.

The invert option works as well, but I found out that whether you do it with the invert or black paintbucket, it is CMYK that screws it up.  RGB goes to b&w fine.  It seems I cannot get to zero saturation with CMYK...  any ideas here?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: De-Saturation Mask Not Working... Exactly
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Well, what do you expect when you work in CMYK (as you failed to mention in the original post)?

Edit: Hue/Saturation seems to assume all three color channels (R, G and B in RGB and C, M and Y in CMYK) have equal importance to luminance in its calculations and outputs to those channels »neutrally«; equal values in CMY usually tend to assume a brownish appearance.

Anyway, if you check »Colorize« (Edit: and set Saturation to 0%) you get pure black, which may also not be what you are after.

• 4. Re: De-Saturation Mask Not Working... Exactly
                Dathaeus Level 1

With Colorize that is much closer to what I was going for...  what does that option exaxctly do?  It seems counter-intuitive so I never even tried clicking on it.

• 5. Re: De-Saturation Mask Not Working... Exactly
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Difficult in CMYK-images … to begin with »Colorize« in CMYK seems to always leave one Channel blank and with 0% Saturation it basically multiplies one of the leveled Channels (as they would be without »Colorize«) onto the existing black Channel.

You could try using a slighty blueish dark gray Solid Color Layer and setting it to Blend Mode Color, but that may for example result in break-offs in the light regions.

Edit: Another option would be to manually create a 4C-black with Curves and Channel Mixer Adjustment Layer(s).

Basically I recommend you consider doing the correction in RGB and then separate ideally with a profile with a fairly strong GCR.

Hue/Saturation does not seem to employ a terribly sophisticated approach and Color Spaces seem to be disregarded – the same values in different spaces will produce the same resulting values regardless (note: I’m talking about Color Spaces as represented by ICC-profiles, not Color Modes).

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: De-Saturation Mask Not Working... Exactly
                    Dathaeus Level 1

LOL, emmmmm, almost sorry I asked!  The color stuff is way over my head... color manipulation in PS is probably my weakest skill.... mostly deal with web graphics so we tend to neglect the perfect colors so... But honestly, that Colorize took out like 95% of the color.  Whats funny is that after doing that, I actually prefer the old copper hue, made it look more antique and classic which followed the theme of the photo, lol. 

Thanks for your thorough answer... makes me wanna pick up a Photoshop book to understand half the &$%&@$ u were saying, haha... but this is one of the beauties of PS isnt it... you can do 90% of what u need to do with only 50% of the total knowledge.

• 7. Re: De-Saturation Mask Not Working... Exactly
                      c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

If the image should be for web you should switch to RGB anyway.

I edited the previous message, so you may have missed this:

Another option would be to manually create a 4C-black with Curves and Channel Mixer Adjustment Layer(s).

Basically I recommend you consider doing the correction in RGB and then separate ideally with a profile with a fairly strong GCR.

hueSaturationOnCMYK2Scr.jpg

But you are right that one can get quite a way without understanding everything Photoshop does … and who can claim to do anyway? (apart from some Adobe employees …) 

• 8. Re: De-Saturation Mask Not Working... Exactly
                        Dathaeus Level 1

Actually this particular ad is for a magazine print... but its ok, it still looks good, or, well, my bosses thinks so anyways so thats really all that matter right, LOL.

Yep I got that, thanks heaps... hope to run into you again next time!