7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2012 5:07 PM by [Jongware]

How do I fix placed RTF files?

LJ Editor

I am using CS4 to place several word documents into a book and I am having the usual issues of crashing when trying to place doc files. I am not using any special tables, graphics or fonts, and even if I disable all the import options it usually crashes.

I can sometimes get a regular doc to work but it randomly garbles the text and removes footnotes, so I don't trust this.

RTF seems to work so I think I am going to go with that, but it creates anomalies. I don't mind deleting the random spaces it creates (though this is tedious) but one thing it does which I don't know how to undo is that in the odd footnote here and there it creates a thin black box around some or all of the text. How do I get rid of this box? I can sometimes just retype whatever is in the box beside it and then delete the boxed text altogether but I can't do this when the box encompasses the entire footnote.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: How do I fix placed RTF files?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Show us a screen shot...

It sounds like you have a hyperlink or cross-reference.

• 2. Re: How do I fix placed RTF files?
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thin black box around the text is probably from Word hyperlinks. Here's a posting on how to fix that:

http://indesignsecrets.com/cleaning-up-hyperlinks-from-word-text.php

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I fix placed RTF files?
              LJ Editor Level 1

Thanks guys - fixing it in the word documents with Alt+A and CTRL+A seems to remove the boxes.

But now 2 new issues have cropped up.

1) Some documents still become fragmented a bit as bits of words are cut out and stuck at the end of the document and

2) Some RTF documents, when placed, are only half there, ending in the middle of a sentence. The red box appears for me to add more text but when I do it just creates more blank pages.

What should I make of this?

• 4. Re: How do I fix placed RTF files?
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

1. Somewhere along the development of InDesign, bits of the RTF text import filter got broken--and Adobe never got around to fix it. (Probably playing with their iPads or something.) If you have an older version of ID installed somewhere, import your text with that. CS3, for example, usually imports those same files just fine, and also much faster by the way.

Failing that, try to find an older version of Word, open and re-save your RTF with that. Sometimes that works as well.

2. Nothing particular about that. There is some sort of formatting in the sentence or paragrap directly after the last one you can see that makes the text too wide to fit in your text frame. Check the usual suspects: huge indents, large graphics or tables, all text unbreakable because of No Break or hyphenation settings, All Lines Kept Together. Use the Story Edtor to access and edit what's beyond the visible range.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How do I fix placed RTF files?
                  LJ Editor Level 1

I'm still having trouble placing one document. It is a simple text document with footnotes but no tables, graphics, or lists. It has no hyperlinking in it. I have tried using .doc, .docx, and .rtf files, including those made on Word 2010, 2007, and 2003. Each time the result is the same: about 1/3 of the document is placed and it abruptly gets cut off in the middle of a sentence. The red box appears after 2 or 3 blank pages but will not actually add any more text if I try and do so. According to the story editor there is overset text in both the body and footnotes, but I don't know why this would be since I am there is just plain text and I have footnote splitting on.

I am at a total loss for this. Some have mentioned using programs to clear formatting, but it is very important that I not lose the numerous italics in the document. That would be a deal breaker.

Any advice? I don't have access to any other versions of ID besides my CS4 here. The other documents have been placed by one method or another - different rtf files. But this one just won't work.

• 6. Re: How do I fix placed RTF files?
                    TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Select all the text and check the keep options. Make sure that it is set

to "Anywhere" for all paragraphs. Does that help?

Ariel

• 7. Re: How do I fix placed RTF files?
                      [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Can you see *anything* special in the Story Editor around the point where ID gives up? No table, graphic, or footnote at exactly that point? Does the formatting stop at the end of a paragraph, or somewhere inside running text?

Anyway, you can also try enlarging the last 'good' text frame until the additional text pops up. Then you can click inside that text and inspect its attributes.

If all fails, send me a private message and I'll give you an e-mail address to send this troublesome file to.