6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2018 1:54 PM by Ethron

Snap keyframes to nearest frame?

voxL Level 1

I recently purchased and AE template which was created at 25 fps.  When I change the fps, the keyframes are no longer on exact frames, which makes it difficult to work with them (copy/paste/snap to).  This particluar template has A LOT of keyframes that are coordinated in an animation, so snapping them individually is not an attractive option.  Of course I can live with using it at 25 fps and retiming, but if there is a way to snap them all to whole frame numbers it would be good to know.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Snap keyframes to nearest frame?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not that I know, but it may be worth to do some digging on AEScripts or AEnhancers. The problem I see, though, is that any script would possible quantize to the wrong frames, resulting in Animation looking just as off...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Snap keyframes to nearest frame?
            voxL Level 1

Yes, I realize that.  But in the interest of being thorough, I'd give it a try...

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Snap keyframes to nearest frame?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It shouldn't make any difference if the keyframes are all exactly on a frame. The timing will be accurate in real time. The only problems you may run into would be problems with slow vertical motion and interlacing issues with thin lines. That's the only case that I know of where the timing must be in exact whole pixel values for each frame.

• 4. Re: Snap keyframes to nearest frame?
                voxL Level 1

Its not the timing, its editing the animation.  You can't snap to keyframes that aren't exactly on a frame...

• 5. Re: Snap keyframes to nearest frame?
                  bogiesan Level 4

voxL wrote:

Its not the timing, its editing the animation.  You can't snap to keyframes that aren't exactly on a frame...

I'm not sure how that's even possible but, if you're looking at the screen, you have the empirical evidence before you.

I mean, I cannot put the CTI on anything burt frames. I cannot plae it on an individual field unless I go to a higher frame rate and unpack the fields as separate frames.

I am sorry I cannot help you but I'll watching your thread to see if you arrive at a useful solution.

• 6. Re: Snap keyframes to nearest frame?
                    Ethron

I usually live with the original timing and allow frames to be off when converting frame rates, except when you are doing 3D camera matching combined with 3d composited layers. After effects doesn't calculate camera matching well between frames with added 3d layers tracked onto objects, so the animation has to be re-rendered at the new frame-rate or it needs to be pre-rendered so that it's not nested. Oh happy days.