11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2012 5:18 PM by iDzyn

When I add text to my CS5 InDesign Classroom In a Book document, the graphic disappears. (Lesson 3)

TomL1214

As soon as I add the threaded text, the graphic at the bottom of the right hand page vanishes. The book mentions nothing about this. Help! I'm trying to teach myself this program and don't want to move forward until I know the solution to this problem. Anybody? Please? (Thank you for any wisdom you may be able to offer.)

• 1. Re: When I add text to my CS5 InDesign Classroom In a Book document, the graphic disappears. (Lesson 3)
          Michael Gianino Level 4

I don't know the specific setting of this lesson, or whether you have made any mistakes that have lead to this, but if a graphic moves because text is added, it is likely that the text was an in-line anchored graphic. That means that the image was placed on the page as a free-standing image, selected with the selection tool, copied, and pasted within the flow of text. It will act the same as any glyph of text in the story, and will therefore move within the flow of text when new text is added. If you click in the text and view it in the Story Editor (Edit>Edit in Story Editor), an inline graphic will show as a small rectangle surrounding an image of an anchor.

If adding the text overfills the text frame, only that which will fit in the frame will be visible on the page, but you can still see it in the story editor. You will also see a small red X-box at the bottom right of the text frame if you have overset text, but you won't see it if you are in Preview mode (View>Screen Mode). If that's the case, you can either make more text frames to contain the overfill (and place them on new pages if necessary), or fit the content to the frame you have by making it smaller, etc.

If you need to change an anchored object back into a free-standing object, make it visible by allowing the overset text a place to go, select the anchored object with the selection tool and copy it. You then deselect all objects and paste it onto the page. The anchored object may be deleted by placing the text cursor just after it and hitting delete, the same way you delete any text glyph.

If I guessed wrong, please give more detail.

• 2. Re: When I add text to my CS5 InDesign Classroom In a Book document, the graphic disappears. (Lesson 3)
            TomL1214 Level 1

THANK YOU for the wealth of information! Yes, you were absolutely correct in your assumption. Just before I found your reply, I revisited the problem and had simply added the text withOUT the graphic (dragged it onto the pasteboard), and then dragged it back into position. Story Editor doesn't come up in the book until page 163, I'm on page 82. Thanks so much for your reply.

• 3. Re: When I add text to my CS5 InDesign Classroom In a Book document, the graphic disappears. (Lesson 3)
              Michael Gianino Level 4

It sounds like you are sayiing you started over and moved the graphic to the pasteboard before you added the text. If the graphic were anchored in a text frame, you would have had to move the text frame as well as the graphic, unless you first changed it to a free-standing image as I described earlier. You would also have had to paste or place the new text within the same text frame that held the anchored graphic. I'm not sure what you had or how you got it fixed,but I'm glad you got it sorted. Best of luck with your studies, and please come back with any further questions.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: When I add text to my CS5 InDesign Classroom In a Book document, the graphic disappears. (Lesson 3)
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I dug out my CIB and took a look at lesson 3 (I used to use the CIB as a text in my classes so I know some of the problems you're likely to encounter).

On page 69 there are instructions to create a frame on the bottom of the right-hand master page and that's the frame that the image should be placed into (and it shold have text wrap applied). It's typical of the CIB that this frame doesn't appear in the illustrations on pages 73 or 75.

On page 73 you added a text frame on the right page, and that frame, for no really good reason extends across the previously created image frame. They do this in the lesson to show you how text wrap works, but in the real world it would be much better in a template situation like this to to simply stop the text frame at the top of the image frame since your text will never use the bottom portion anyway the way this particular page is laid out.

In any case, I suspect what happened was that when you placed the image of the fellow on the jet ski you somehow failed to place it in the image frame from the master page. This would have been a relatively easy mistake to make as the only area of the frame that would accept the image is the part that is not covered by the text frame. I can't tell for sure exactly what happened without seeing the file at the point of failure, however, and I quite honestly don't understand why the image would have disappeared unless, as Michael suggests, you had an active text cursor and place the image inline. This seems unlikely, given the instructions in the lesson, and I would have expected an inline image to appear at the start of the thread in the text frames, not at the end, so I don't think this is really what happened.

One general principle you need to know when placing content into existing frames is you want to click in a clear space inside the frame, not on or near any guides or the frame edges. It doesn't matter where you click, as long as it is inside the frame area -- the frame will fill, or in the case of threaded tex frames the thread will fill from the beginning regardless of where in the thread you click (part of the point of this lesson). Neither the book, nor any documentation I've seen, ever mentions that clicking on a guide, even if it is inside the frame area, will abort the placement into the frame and will instead create a new frame at the point where you clicked. You can tell what is going to happen by watching the cursor closely. If it looks like it has a hard corner in the upper left, it will create a frame, if it seems to be surrounded by parentheses it will use the empty frame you are hovered over.  And, of course, if there are two overlapping frames, you must be sure which one you are using -- if you click in an area of overlap, the top frame will be used.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: When I add text to my CS5 InDesign Classroom In a Book document, the graphic disappears. (Lesson 3)
                  TomL1214 Level 1

Thank you very much for your help, Peter. I'll take all the pointers I can get, and you've given me a lot! It's funny - I opened the file back up and zoomed OUT of that 2-page spread, and the jet ski photo did in fact get bumped to the next page.

I've used photoshop and illustrator for over 17 years now, but am not familiar enough with multi-page publishing programs, thus the self-training. (So used to ONE page and one page ONLY.) Between the book and the replies I've gotten here, I'm definitely augmenting my knowledge base significantly.

Cheers!

• 6. Re: When I add text to my CS5 InDesign Classroom In a Book document, the graphic disappears. (Lesson 3)
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

May I recommend a different book?

Sandee Cohen's Visual Quick Start Guide is the best newbie book on the market: http://amzn.to/AjgH9w

Best $18 you'll ever spend.

Additionallly, there is great video training on Lynda.com. This link will get you a free one week trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

Hope that helps,

Bob

• 7. Re: When I add text to my CS5 InDesign Classroom In a Book document, the graphic disappears. (Lesson 3)
                      mwmorehouse62

I'm having trouble with this same book and the same chapter as well. How did you get the photos in the frames on pages 2 and 3?

I followed the instructions, putting those text frames on the B Placeholder master page, so when I go to try to fill the frames on page 2 and 3, I can't select them because they are master page elements.

So I thought maybe I should put them in the master page, but that put the photos on every page from 2 thru 7.

Did I read it wrong somehow when I put the picture frames on the master page? If I didn't misread it, it seems something's missing.

• 8. Re: When I add text to my CS5 InDesign Classroom In a Book document, the graphic disappears. (Lesson 3)
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Just hover the loaded place gun cursor over the empty frames. You should see the cursor change to be surrounded by parentheses. That means the image will be placed into the frame.

• 9. Re: When I add text to my CS5 InDesign Classroom In a Book document, the graphic disappears. (Lesson 3)
                          iDzyn

I just tought this lesson in two classes today, and tried in both CS5 and CS6 and can not get past the same problem. What is happening is that the text is flowing out of the first text box, the one on page 2, and when it overfills the box InDesign is creating two extra pages to accomodate the overflow, when what the lesson suggests should happen is that the text should flow across the spread to page 3 without any new pages being created. So the page that was page 3 is getting pushed back and turned into page 5 (which is why it seems kind of like the moving image is getting pushed as an inline text frame, but in reality its entire page is moving), and InDesign is adding two new pages, which become pages 3 and 4. There must be some method of having the text flow from page 2 to page 3 without adding new pages. I also tried turning off the preference that creates new pages when autoflowing on master page text frames, but that does not solve the problem. I promissed my students I'd figure this out by next week, but unfortunately I'm pretty much stumped. And I'm, like, a total expert! So this is definitely a tough spot in the CIB for folks who are new to this.

• 10. Re: When I add text to my CS5 InDesign Classroom In a Book document, the graphic disappears. (Lesson 3)
                            iDzyn Level 1

Update - 1 minute later - I just tried again and did find a workaround on this, although it seems to defeat the purpose of threading the frames together on the master pages - if you overide both of the linked text boxes on pages 2 and 3 by command-shift clicking them, then the autoflow/page problem doesn't seem to happen. It seems to work like the book suggests it should. However this technigue really doesn't seem to stick with the plan from the book.

• 11. Re: When I add text to my CS5 InDesign Classroom In a Book document, the graphic disappears. (Lesson 3)
                              iDzyn Level 1

What's probably happening to you here is that you had your cursor positioned over the text box which is on top of the image frame that you created on the master page, and therefore it will not allow you to drop the picture into the picture frame. The way we did that today in my class was to move the cursor up above the margin (which also moves your cursor above the text box, which stops at the margin) and then you'll have the parentheses around your loaded graphic cursor which will allow you to place the image in the image frame.  I realize this reply is weeks after your question was posted.