5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2014 3:35 AM by Gianluca Malimpensa

iPad 3 export settings

d3stin3d

Hi

I hope someone can help I just ordered the iPad 3 and want to export some video's to play on it. I am wondering what will be the best export settings to use to utilize the retina display ?

Many thanks in advance

• 1. Re: iPad 3 export settings
          Stephen_Spider Level 3

H.264 would be my guess. It is pretty much a universal standard today.

Mpeg2 should play fine, but being an Apple product, you'd likely have to purchase or download a decoder for it.

Try apple support 

oh heck... what's this new google thing the kids are using:

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;

MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;

Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

and

http://www.ifunia.com/ipad-column/ipad-supported-video-and-audio-formats.html

http://www.ipadintouch.com/popular-ipad-2-video-format-explained/

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: iPad 3 export settings
            d3stin3d Level 1

Wow thank you so much for all of that

Im just wondering because the iPad 3 has this retina display is there a way to export in like super HD or something or is 1080p going to be the highest quality video output ?

Many thanks

• 3. Re: iPad 3 export settings
              jasonvp Level 3

d3stin3d wrote:

Im just wondering because the iPad 3 has this retina display is there a way to export in like super HD or something or is 1080p going to be the highest quality video output ?

Well it'll realistically depend on your source footage I'd assume.  If the camera you're using can only cut 1080p (1920x1080 resolution) movies, then then only way to upsize that would be to add pixels.  That'd be horrendously computationally expensive and very probably result in a terrible looking movie.

jas

• 4. Re: iPad 3 export settings
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Under H.264 you will find some i-Pad presets.

• 5. Re: iPad 3 export settings
                  Gianluca Malimpensa

The problem is the size of the final output, I'm trying to export stuff for iPad retina, it's a 15 second composition of After Effect, I started from the 1536 x 2048 frame size of iPad retina screen. When I export in H.264 the result on the device is absolutely "non-retina". So i tried to export it in Quicktime, the resolution was good, but I had a 3 Gb File, it works with a second mpeg-4 compression in Media Encoder (about 20 Mb) but the only extension you can use having a good quality is .mov

Any reason or suggestion?

Thank You