5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2008 1:26 PM by Peter deHaan

flex import projects sux

dajj123 Level 1
      Is it me if so someone please help or does the flex import suck. I have the latest flex3 build and every time I try to import a project as a archive or as a project folder the project never works. I have downloaded over 3 dozen sample projects from various sites. As well as exported a project from my laptop which runs the exact same set up as my desktop to import it and have it not work. I have found a painfull work around for this. This is to create a new project in flex, create the mxml files that you need. Then open the project you want to import and open the files in notepad and copy the code into the same files you made in your new project. Then coppy all suport files such as as etc to the propper direcories. This seems to work every time, but is a huge pain in the ***. Latest example was http://examples.adobe.com/flex3/devnet/dashboard/main.html straight from adobe. Could not get it to run after import got a error that it could not find some libs folder. Anyone else having these issues or can someone tell me what I am doing wrong.

thanx Dave
        • 1. Re: flex import projects sux
          basesignal
          can you see the libs folder when you try and import using Import Projects?
          • 2. Re: flex import projects sux
            dajj123 Level 1
            no, but this is one issue. Most the time it gives various errors. One would think that the import tool would update the projects setting to the inviroment its being imported into.
            • 3. Re: flex import projects sux
              levancho Level 3
              quote:

Originally posted by: dajj123
              no, but this is one issue. Most the time it gives various errors. One would think that the import tool would update the projects setting to the inviroment its being imported into.

import tool ultimately reads project definition files and uses it to construct for you a new flex project, its very good at it, but its not magician , and it can not guess your environment, nether it can scan your drives and search for necessary libraries, thats why sometimes import projects required user interaction, to get it resolved, most of the times, errors are very clear in what is going on and it is really easy to resolve, just requires basic eclipse knowledge.
              if you say what is the exact error you are getting I can help you.
              kind regards.

• 4. Re: flex import projects sux
                Ansury Level 3
                Works fine for me...
                • 5. Re: flex import projects sux
                  Peter deHaan Level 4
                  I was able to import and use that project OK.
                  The only change I needed was to change my Flex compiler from my custom SDK folder to the Flex 3 shipping SDK w/ charting SWCs.

What is your environment? Windows? Mac? Flex Builder Standalone? Plugin?

Peter