4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2012 4:59 AM by nealeh

Clip or Cut to extract video segment with reduced file size?

goadobe10

I understad the clip feature acts as a mask and does not reduce the overall size of the video. How do I actually cut out a clip and have a video that is only the size of the desired clip. For example, I have a 10 minute movie and want cut or clip 1 minute segments. I don't want each 1 minute segment to mask 9 minutes of video. I want the video file of each 1 minute segment to only be 1 minute to help reduce file size.*

• 1. Re: Clip or Cut to extract video segment with reduced file size?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you crop a photo, you actually change its size.

Video doesn't work that way. Your video frame is the size you set it in your project.

What size do you want your output frame to be?

It's not clear what you mean by "reduce the file size". That could mean many things.

How and where do you plan to display your final video? On a DVD or BluRay? On a web site or YouTube? On an iPod/iPad or other portable device?

Different delivery devices require different formats and settings.

• 2. Re: Clip or Cut to extract video segment with reduced file size?
            nealeh Level 5

goadobe10 wrote:

I understad the clip feature acts as a mask and does not reduce the overall size of the video. How do I actually cut out a clip and have a video that is only the size of the desired clip. For example, I have a 10 minute movie and want cut or clip 1 minute segments. I don't want each 1 minute segment to mask 9 minutes of video. I want the video file of each 1 minute segment to only be 1 minute to help reduce file size.*

PRE doesn't work that way. It records how to work with your clip at the final rendering. It never makes physical copies of the file when you are editing. In fact the original clip is never changed by any of the editing and menu activities you do in your project.

So if you split your video into ten clips on the timeline and apply different effects and transitions to each clip you still only have the single original ten minute clip on your disk.

If for other reasons you want to split your ten minute clip into ten discrete one minute files then:

• Add the clip to your project and place it on the timeline.
            • Split the clip with the split tool to the ten segments
            • Position the work area bar over the first one minute segment
            • Share that segment to a new file in your preferred format (if it's for subsequent reuse I suggest DV-AVI) ensuring that you tick the WAB only check box.
            • Repeat for each segment, setting the Work Area Bar to each segment.
            • When complete and you have checked each segment you can delete the original ten minute clip.

I would however expect the ten individual clips to require more physical disk space than the original single ten minute clip.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Clip or Cut to extract video segment with reduced file size?
              goadobe10 Level 1

Thank you for the response. Your answer is very helpful.

If you had a 10 minute video and needed 10 discrete 1 minute videos to be used on the web, would you use the clip feature or the WAB method described in your post. Isn't it inefficient to use the clip feature because the file size of the 10 individual 1 minute clips will each be the same size as the original 10 minute video?

• 4. Re: Clip or Cut to extract video segment with reduced file size?
                nealeh Level 5

When you Share the project the rendered output file only contain the footage relevant to the Share. So if you Shared your project to ten one minute FLV files, each FLV file only contains the one minute clip.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children